The Official RONR Q & A Forums

chain of command

Guest silverwolf

What is the correct chain of command?

As far as RONR is concerned the General Membership is the top of the food chain. Through the applicable governing documents the Membership can delegate some or all of its authority in part or in its entirety to the Board and/or other subordinate bodies.

And, if you're asking about officers, the only "line of succession" is from vice-president to president in the event of a mid-term vacancy. RONR does not "rank" officers so, for example, the treasurer is not above or below the secretary.

But "command" is not an appropriate term when dealing with deliberative assemblies. Unlike good ol' Al Haig, the chair is not "in command".

Better to think of rights and responsibilities.

Is this question related to a specific situation?

RONR does not "rank" officers so, for example, the treasurer is not above or below the secretary.

Well, RONR does state that the officers "rank" in the order listed in the Bylaws, but that doesn't give the officers the authority to boss other officers around. It seems to be primarily for the purposes of determining the order of reports, elections, and nominations, and likely has implications for ceremonial events in many societies.

Well, RONR does state that the officers "rank" in the order listed in the Bylaws, but that doesn't give the officers the authority to boss other officers around.

Yes, but I would submit that's more of a "before and after" rather than an "above and below". The x-axis, if you will, rather than the y-axis. East and West rather than North and South. Why do I feel like I'm channeling our own GcT? Or Nancy.

Archived