The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Guest Cristina

Our non-profit organization has a nominating committee that compiles a slate of officers for the upcoming year. A family member of one member of the nominating committee members was a nominee. Does that nominating committee member have to recuse himself from deliberating and/or voting for that family member?

Our non-profit organization has a nominating committee that compiles a slate of officers for the upcoming year. A family member of one member of the nominating committee members was a nominee. Does that nominating committee member have to recuse himself from deliberating and/or voting for that family member?

As long as the committee member is a member of the assembly, s/he has every right to vote.

No member can be compelled to refrain from voting. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 394, l. 24-25.

Also, see RONR(10th ed.), p. 419, l. 27-33. I think the principle can be applied to this situation.

Does that nominating committee member have to recuse himself from deliberating and/or voting for that family member?

No member ever has to recuse himself from speaking in debate or voting (except when disciplinary procedures are involved). (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 394, lines 24-25) There are some other circumstances when a member should recuse himself from voting (not from debate), but I don't think this is one of those situations. So far as RONR is concerned, it is entirely appropriate for the member to speak in favor of and vote for himself, so I see no reason why the member should not speak for and vote for the family member. (RONR, 10th ed., pg. 419, lines 27-33; pg. 394, lines 28-31)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived