The Official RONR Q & A Forums

"conditional bylaws"

gregory

My question is, can a motion be stated and seconded that is conditional on a bylaw passing.

Yes.

For instance, "I move if bylaw Article VII (e) passes the membership will vote at that time to set the Executive Board salary to xxxxxx"

Sure.

If so, what page of RONR might that information be on?

RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 578-579 discusses the use of provisos.

For instance, "I move if bylaw Article VII (e) passes the membership will vote at that time to set the Executive Board salary to xxxxxx"

Sure.

Be careful with this. I think this would have to be a motion to Suspend the Rules since it brings a question before the assembly without debate, and thus it would require a two-thirds majority. Even if you do hold debate, I believe it would be most akin to Postponeing a question and making it a special order, which would again require a two-thirds majority, not to mention probably also being a Suspend the Rules because it isn't a question that has already been brought.

That said, if you want to make action conditional on another action (e.g. "I move that, if Bylaw Article VII (e) is adopted, the Executive Board salary be set to xxxxx"), that would require only the majority required to set the salary.

Be careful with this. I think this would have to be a motion to Suspend the Rules since it brings a question before the assembly without debate, and thus it would require a two-thirds majority. Even if you do hold debate, I believe it would be most akin to Postponeing a question and making it a special order, which would again require a two-thirds majority, not to mention probably also being a Suspend the Rules because it isn't a question that has already been brought.

That said, if you want to make action conditional on another action (e.g. "I move that, if Bylaw Article VII (e) is adopted, the Executive Board salary be set to xxxxx"), that would require only the majority required to set the salary.

Thanks for bringing this up - I also saw that the exact intent of the motion seemed unclear. I agree with what you've said, although if the intent is to set a vote (with no debate), for a future time, such a motion would only be in order if the vote was to be held later within the same session, since a motion to Suspend the Rules may not be applied to a future session.

Archived