The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Recording not-in-order motions in minutes

paulmcclintock

Official interpretation 2006-7 says unseconded motions are to be recorded in minutes, and cites RONRIB saying all motions moved but not withdrawn are to go in the minutes.

Shall the minutes record verbatim a motion made with vulgarities or obscenities and thus ruled not in order (RONR 10th ed, p. 333, l. 4-8)?

Official interpretation 2006-7 says unseconded motions are to be recorded in minutes, and cites RONRIB saying all motions moved but not withdrawn are to go in the minutes.

Shall the minutes record verbatim a motion made with vulgarities or obscenities and thus ruled not in order (RONR 10th ed, p. 333, l. 4-8)?

I will say yes for two reasons. First, when the motions are ruled not in order, the reason needs to be easily found. Second, when a person continually violates decorum, the chair is supposed to have the secretary write down the offensive words.

Yes, it should be recorded, and the chair's ruling will also be recorded, including the (rather obvious) reason he ruled it out of order.

I think the assembly can order it not to be included, but that's not your question.

Where in RONR does it say that a motion made with vulgarities or obscenities is not in order? I'll bet this will come as a bit of a surprise to the members of GcT's bikers club (and maybe even his Orchid Fanciers Society). :)

Where in RONR does it say that a motion made with vulgarities or obscenities is not in order? I'll bet this will come as a bit of a surprise to the members of GcT's bikers club (and maybe even his Orchid Fanciers Society). :)

The same place it says a motion to rob a bank is not in order.......it doesn't.

But Paul's hypothetical chair ruled it out of order anyway.

Where in RONR does it say that a motion made with vulgarities or obscenities is not in order? I'll bet this will come as a bit of a surprise to the members of GcT's bikers club (and maybe even his Orchid Fanciers Society). smile.gif

My guess is that Mr. McClintock is interpreting "...discourteous, unnecessarily harsh...", RONR (10th ed.), p. 333, ll. 7,8, to include "...vulgarities or obscenities...". I tend to agree with him that such a motion is out of order under the rule he cited.

Archived