The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Implementation of RONR 11th edition

Guest naqiyya

My organization will be making some bylaw amendments due to the clarification around electronic meetings which was provided in the 11th edition of RONR.

Question: With each new edition of RONR that is published, is there a grace period/deadline date that is given to organizations to afford them time to bring their governing documents into compliance with the new RONR guidelines? For example, 30 days after the new edition of RONR is published? 90 days? As soon as practicable?

My organization will be making some bylaw amendments due to the clarification around electronic meetings which was provided in the 11th edition of RONR.

Question: With each new edition of RONR that is published, is there a grace period/deadline date that is given to organizations to afford them time to bring their governing documents into compliance with the new RONR guidelines? For example, 30 days after the new edition of RONR is published? 90 days? As soon as practicable?

In view of the fact that an organization's bylaws take precedence over the rules in RONR, I'm not sure what you have in mind.

RONR is one of the lowest men on the totem pole when it comes to authority so the bylaws never need to become into compliance with RONR because the bylaws supersede RONR. However, if the section in the bylaws regarding the parliamentary authority is worded like RONR suggests on p. 588 (11th Edition) the organization will transition to the new Edition as soon as it comes out and it is just a matter of you all getting the most current copy of RONR.

The latest edition is the current edition immediately. Your bylaws do not need to conform to RONR.

Suppose, however, that the organization had been relying on RONR for some prohibition (a prohibition not explicitly stated in the bylaws), and that the new edition no longer contained that particular prohibition. If the organization wanted to maintain the prohibition, it would have to scramble to recreate it, either in its own bylaws, or as a special rule of order. In that case, the organization might wish there was some grace period... but there isn't. The organization could put such a provision (delaying the switch to a new edition of the parliamentary authority by 90 days, for example) in its bylaws, I suppose, if it is worried about the effect of changes in the parliamentary authority.

Archived