The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation and re-election

Guest Jakob

If a board member whose term ends in one year resigns and runs for a seat that does not expire for another two years, is this allowed? Is it disallowed because he is trying to extend his term illegally or because he is trying to avoid running against whoever also comes up next term?

If a board member whose term ends in one year resigns and runs for a seat that does not expire for another two years, is this allowed? Is it disallowed because he is trying to extend his term illegally or because he is trying to avoid running against whoever also comes up next term?

It's not "his term." The "term" belongs to the office/position, therefore the phrase (often found in bylaws) "term of office." If he wants to resign his current position, and take a chance that he'll be elected to a different position with a term that last longer than his current position, there is nothing "illegal" (i.e. parliamentarily improper) about that. The electors will have their say, and he could as easily find himself off the board as on it for an extra year.

If he wants to resign his current position, and take a chance that he'll be elected to a different position with a term that last longer than his current position, there is nothing "illegal" (i.e. parliamentarily improper) about that.

And if he was as clever as he may think he is, he wouldn't have resigned his current seat unless and until he had won the new seat. So he may have been, as they say, too clever by half.

Do your Bylaws provide limitations on consecutive terms or something of that nature? If so, there may be an issue. Otherwise, I concur with the other responses.

Archived