The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Captchas

Arjun

I think reCAPTCHA is an option:

"IP.Board ships with a built in Captcha system and also an option to use the reCAPTCHA service. We highly suggest using the reCAPTCHA service . . . ."

Perhaps the Administrator will give it a try. I'm sure there are questions that never get asked because the guest gets frustrated with the current system (and, for whatever reason, is unwilling to become a member). I also suspect that follow-up questions are similarly thwarted.

The above took four attempts. How the h*** is one supposed to distinguish the upper-case and lower-case characters??

Some letters are easy (Aa Bb Dd etc). Some letters look pretty much the same (Cc Jj Mm Pp etc). Best approach is to become a member, but not everyone wants to, nor has more than one question and will never return. Second best approach is to keep refreshing until you get a decipherable code.

This took me one try. " vvRCNC"

Mr. Mt. deals with it constantly and voluntarily.......for some strange reason

It builds moral character.

Oddly enough, he tells me that's part of it. He also says he does it to express his solidarity with the guests, and in the hope that the powers-that-be will one day see the light. As an added benefit (or so he tells me) it inhibits the posting of frivolous or ill-conceived comments that one (ok, he) might otherwise submit in haste. Finally (I think he thinks too much!), he's uncomfortable with his current post-count position (though he sees that being remedied sometime before the end of the Mayan calendar).

Personally, I hope these issues are resolved sooner rather than later as this CAPTCHA nonsense (and you'll have to take my word on this) doesn't get any more enjoyable with use.

d8ytF3 - a high level of confidence with two numerals and distinctive upper and lowercase letters.

Finally

Whew!

(I think he thinks too much!)

I concur.

he's uncomfortable with his current post-count position

Well, he could spend this time waiting for the end of the world to come reviewing previous posts for any - what was it now.... oh yes -- "frivolous or ill-conceived comments" and remove them, thus opening up some room to post new, less frivolous and well-conceived comments, and still stay within the socially acceptable count of < 5,000.

(insert smiley face here)

QGucse - #1

Trying this again -- and how do you guys include the number of attempts in your post?

Ah, you edit the post each time before submitting a guess on the Captcha code. A worthwhile use of mental energy :P .

I find the upper-case/lower-case confusion the most annoying part of these codes. I've seen some at other websites that are much more twisted and distorted. These here are pretty darn annoying, though -- seems unfair when you enter the correct letters, and it's wrong anyway

2nd attempt

• 2 months later...

I also signed up as a member because I could not get through the Captcha. After quite a few straight failures, I started refreshing the Captch display until I got ones that seemed completely clear. None of them worked. Signing up as a member, of course, I had to pass another Captcha. But it worked. Very weird, folks.

• 1 month later...

They are very difficult to read with the letters and numbers half hidden by all the squiggly lines and background.

Your best option is to sign up as a member after which you won't ever have to deal with it again. But -- you will need to decipher it one more time to register. If you have more questions for the forum, or might like to follow along with others and maybe ask questions, being a member here (it's free!) is the best way around the code screen.

Archived