The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resignation of officer

lptwigg

Does a resignation have to be immediate, or can it be future dated?

Nothing in RONR prohibits a resignation from having an effective date in the future, although it should be noted that a resignation is also not effective until it is accepted by the body with the authority to fill the vacancy, so I doubt that the effective date will make much difference in this case.

Nothing in RONR prohibits a resignation from having an effective date in the future, although it should be noted that a resignation is also not effective until it is accepted by the body with the authority to fill the vacancy, so I doubt that the effective date will make much difference in this case.

Let's say that the organization will meet tomorrow and vote on the resignation. Would they have the authority to amend the 5 days to immediately so when accepted the officer would have no further access to records?

Let's say that the organization will meet tomorrow and vote on the resignation. Would they have the authority to amend the 5 days to immediately so when accepted the officer would have no further access to records?

No. A resignation is a voluntary act, so it could not be amended so as to force the member to resign earlier. I also see no reason why the officer should not continue to have access to records during his last five days in office.

Well, if you're going to go with what Rev Ed said, please read FAQ #20 for more information on what he meant by "depending on the wording of the Bylaws."

We have set procedures in our bylaws for removal, but this a voluntary resignation over differences.

Our Board meets 4 times per year, the next meeting will be in March. Our bylaws state that the resignation must be accepted by the Board. So, I guess this means he serves until then, but he does not want to...... not sure what to do?

Well, if you're going to go with what Rev Ed said, please read FAQ #20 for more information on what he meant by "depending on the wording of the Bylaws."

Thanks for the additional information Josh. But yes, if the assembly wants to accept the resignation but does not want the individual to retain certain (or any) rights, then disciplinary actions have to take place in order to suspend those rights.

Archived