The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Co-Presidents

lptwigg

I have been doing some reading, and apparently RONR 10th edition prohibited co-presidents - I don't own a copy, so cannot verify that.

I do own the new 11th edition, and I can find no such prohibition, so either I'm not looking in the right place, it was removed, or it never existed in the 10th edition either.

Can anyone help me out here - is it prohibited by RONR?

Thanks!!

I have been doing some reading, and apparently RONR 10th edition prohibited co-presidents - I don't own a copy, so cannot verify that.

I do own the new 11th edition, and I can find no such prohibition, so either I'm not looking in the right place, it was removed, or it never existed in the 10th edition either.

Can anyone help me out here - is it prohibited by RONR?

Co-presidents are probably prohibited by your Bylaws. Chances are your Bylaws say something similar to what the Sample Bylaws in RONR say on the subject, which begins: "The officers of the Society shall be a President..." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 585, lines 10-13, emphasis added) The indefinite article "a" is singular, and therefore states that your Bylaws shall have one President. So no, strictly speaking, neither the 10th or 11th edition of RONR prohibits co-presidents. Your Bylaws define what officers your society has, and Bylaws generally provide for one President.

In case you are thinking of amending your Bylaws to provide for Co-Presidents, however, it should be noted that RONR does not speak highly of this practice. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 176, lines 1-6.

Co-presidents are probably prohibited by your Bylaws. Chances are your Bylaws say something similar to what the Sample Bylaws in RONR say on the subject, which begins: "The officers of the Society shall be a President..." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 585, lines 10-13, emphasis added) The indefinite article "a" is singular, and therefore states that your Bylaws shall have one President. So no, strictly speaking, neither the 10th or 11th edition of RONR prohibits co-presidents. Your Bylaws define what officers your society has, and Bylaws generally provide for one President.

In case you are thinking of amending your Bylaws to provide for Co-Presidents, however, it should be noted that RONR does not speak highly of this practice. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 176, lines 1-6.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the pointer to page 176 - that helps a lot.

and, no, we do not want to allow co-presidents, I am looking for justification to prevent it in our constitutent organizations.

Thanks!!

Archived