The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to remove an appointed member from a standing committee

Guest justin2014

Hello,

Recently I've been faced with an issue in my Student Association with regard to how to remove a member of a constitutionally supported standing committee (e.g. our Constitution required this committee to exist).

I myself am the subject in question. After an in depth review of our bylaws, the only statute that exists with regard to removal states that the "appointing office" may remove the member at their discretion.

My question is: I was recommended for this appointment by the Speaker of the Assembly, pending the approval of the Representative body. Would that then mean that the "appointing office" would be the Representative body? Also, if I understand RONR correctly, the proper way to remove someone previously appointed to a position would be to make a motion to "rescind" or "amend something previously adopted" toward that person's appointment?

The reasoning behind this is that the current chair of the committee sent a memo to myself informing me of my immediate removal from the committee. He cited no precedent or statute in his memo and is basing this off of his sole feelings. I take my role on this committee very seriously and would like to remain on it. I'm trying to find a way to stop this from happening!

I would appreciate any help you can offer, thank you!!!

Hello,

Recently I've been faced with an issue in my Student Association with regard to how to remove a member of a constitutionally supported standing committee (e.g. our Constitution required this committee to exist).

I myself am the subject in question. After an in depth review of our bylaws, the only statute that exists with regard to removal states that the "appointing office" may remove the member at their discretion.

My question is: I was recommended for this appointment by the Speaker of the Assembly, pending the approval of the Representative body. Would that then mean that the "appointing office" would be the Representative body? Also, if I understand RONR correctly, the proper way to remove someone previously appointed to a position would be to make a motion to "rescind" or "amend something previously adopted" toward that person's appointment?

The reasoning behind this is that the current chair of the committee sent a memo to myself informing me of my immediate removal from the committee. He cited no precedent or statute in his memo and is basing this off of his sole feelings. I take my role on this committee very seriously and would like to remain on it. I'm trying to find a way to stop this from happening!

I would appreciate any help you can offer, thank you!!!

You will find the rules relating to removal of committee members in RONR (11th ed.) on page 497, lines 1-13. As you will see, the correct application of these rules requires substantially more information than you have provided. Your best bet is to read what is said in RONR, and then review your governing documents for all of the required information.

The reasoning behind this is that the current chair of the committee sent a memo to myself informing me of my immediate removal from the committee. He cited no precedent or statute in his memo and is basing this off of his sole feelings.

Have you asked him directly under what authority he can remove you from the committee?

Archived