The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By-law illegally entered into By-Laws

Guest Ernie carter

Guest Ernie carter

About 6 years ago a by-law was added to the by-laws of this organization I'm in. Some of the board members told the members that the National Organization mandated that this by-law become a part of the local by-laws

We found out after attending a conference and speaking to the National by-law chair that this was only a reccomendation to local chapters.

Are all the ruelings based on this illegal by-law binding? What do we do about this. The body only voted on it because they thought they had to.

Are all the ruleings based on this illegal by-law binding? What do we do about this. The body only voted on it because they thought they had to.

What is it about this amendment (to your bylaws) that you think is "illegal". The mere fact that it was adopted because of a misunderstanding isn't enough to make it "illegal".

Maybe they just added it to the existing bylaws without following their internal bylaws amendment process... on the grounds that the national level had mandated the change? If 'mandate from national' is one of the specified ways of amending the bylaws (without local member vote), then there is a quandary.

But wait... it always pays to re-read the original post:

The body only voted on it because...

If the the body was misinformed (even outright lied to) prior to the vote, that doesn't change the fact that the body apparently voted to adopt the bylaws amendment. No need to worry about the rulings (based on the amendment) which have been made in the interim.

• 2 weeks later...

About 6 years ago a by-law was added to the by-laws of this organization I'm in. Some of the board members told the members that the National Organization mandated that this by-law become a part of the local by-laws

We found out after attending a conference and speaking to the National by-law chair that this was only a reccomendation to local chapters.

Are all the ruelings based on this illegal by-law binding? What do we do about this. The body only voted on it because they thought they had to.

You mean people who want you to vote a certain way might lie to get you to vote the way they want you to?

I'm shocked, shocked.

• 3 years later...

I think this is really on point to what I'm looking for our local changed the hiring procedure. To a call system instead of going to hiring hall each morning to be dispatched out to work ..myself other members want old way back. 1: you knew when where what jobs going out 2: members knew where they was on books others as well.. This new call system has been a mess ,unfair ! Supposed to be a computer calling going in order person to person next person on list ..NOT,, can it be changed to past practice ? BA. Said it was internationals doing took his word for it. Or was it a recommendation ..I'll find out..if you still get this post or still on here and found out on your issue  please let me know 

Archived