The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reCAPTCHA

Guest Edgar

With Independence Day just around the corner, could the Administrators please consider changing the current CAPTCHA code to reCAPTCHA. (This is what The New York Times uses when you want to e-mail a a link to an article and add a comment.) It's already built-in to the IP Board program so would probably require no more than checking or un-checking a box on an "Options" page.

"IP.Board includes two types of Captcha you can use: ReCAPTCHA, an externally hosted Captcha service (this is what we recommend users use) and a traditional Captcha, generated by the GD library.

You can enable Captcha and which type to use by going to Admin CP --> System --> System Settings --> System --> Security and Privacy. ReCAPTCHA is used by default."

http://community.inv...prevention-r186

At least try it for, say, 30 days. Or just a week. If it's not an improvement, you can always go back.

And if there's some reason why this is an unreasonable request, a brief explanation would certainly be appreciated.

mHY3r4

Edgar,

Good question. We have tried reCAPTCHA here on the forum and it is indeed a simple matter of changing a setting.

When we first launched the forum here on IP Board we used reCAPTCHA. Then we started getting a lot of visitors from Russia who were creating hundreds of user accounts and occassionally posting messages. I expirimented with the options provided by IP Board and settled on the current version of CAPTCHA because the Russians went away. Then about a year ago someone suggested that I ease up on the CAPTCHA and find an easier one. Since we had just upgraded the forum I thought there were new security features in place so I reimplemented reCAPTCHA and almost immediately the Russian's were back creating accounts and posting. So I went back to what we had.

We can always do another experiment with reCAPTCHA. It is really up to Dan.

thanks,

Olivia

Archived