The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting By Email

Guest Robert S.

My Board has 13 Voting Members. We recently did an email poll to expend funds with results as follows:

5 Voted “Yes”-Expend the funds

4 Voted “No”-Do Not Expend the Funds

4 Did not Respond

While a majority of returned votes (5/9) said yes, I am concerned that I do not have a simple majority of the total possible votes (7/13). Is that a valid concern or does this satisfy the majority vote? Comments welcome-and thank you very much for your opinion.

My Board has 13 Voting Members. We recently did an email poll to expend funds with results as follows:

5 Voted “Yes”-Expend the funds

4 Voted “No”-Do Not Expend the Funds

4 Did not Respond

While a majority of returned votes (5/9) said yes, I am concerned that I do not have a simple majority of the total possible votes (7/13). Is that a valid concern or does this satisfy the majority vote? Comments welcome-and thank you very much for your opinion.

Voting by e-mail is prohibited unless your bylaws provide for it, and if they do, they should provide the necessary details,

I am concerned that I do not have a simple majority of the total possible votes (7/13). Is that a valid concern or does this satisfy the majority vote?

Putting aside the very significant fact that voting via e-mail is prohibited by RONR (as noted by Mr. Honemann), a majority vote is based on the members present and voting. So you've already failed the "present" requirement but you did have five affirmative votes of the nine votes cast and that's a majority vote.

Archived