The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Written Ballot ?

Guest Abigail

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice about a written ballot for a coming board election. We have a person that has held a position and no longer wishes to, but insist that her name be placed on the ballot as incumbant. I do not understand why someone who is NOT running again should have their name on the ballot. I made the ballot to say Open Seat. Is there a proper way per the rules. I would love something to quote as none of us are sad to see her go if you know what I mean.

Thank you,

Abigail

Just put the names of the people who are nominated on the ballot (leave space available for write-in votes). I agree it doesn't make sense to have the name of someone who isn't interested in running on the ballot though I am sure there is a madness to her method (maybe she wants people to elect her again without her having to go through the annoyances of running again).

I don't understand either, I fear.

Candidates (only) names go on a ballot and you put a mark (check, "x", whatever) next to your choice.

I enough people check her name you will have re-elected her. Ask her "Then what?" Will she refuse to serve?

Just put the names of the people who are nominated on the ballot (leave space available for write-in votes). I agree it doesn't make sense to have the name of someone who isn't interested in running on the ballot though I am sure there is a madness to her method (maybe she wants people to elect her again without her having to go through the annoyances of running again).

I agree with you both, but she says her name has to be on it as the incumbent without a box to check off - I don't see the point. I have the space labeled for write-in votes too, but she is insisting I am doing it wrong. I wish I had something to quote. The only thing I have found in our bylaws is we are to be ruled by Robert's Rules when there is a question. She is making me crazy.

Thank you,

Abigail :-)

The second sentence of Post 2, Dr. Stackpole's answered Guest Abigail's question completely. An easy citation is RoNR, 11th Ed, bottom of p. 430 - top of 431, by implication. I concede, and I expect previous posters (and maybe following posters; every sane person on the planet, for that matter) will agree, that the paragraph is not explicit as to ruling out the inclusion of extraneous information (such as the incumbents names, and where they went on vacation last summer and they like potato salad although the recent custom of using much too much mayonnaise is to be abhorred, and oh dear, is there any room left on this ballot sheet for nominees?), but since the discussion recognizes that a ballot is a place where nominations go, to be voted on, by definition; and nothing but nominees belongs there (see below for botanical considerations).

Citation #2. The subsection "Form of the ballot," p. 413, describes a ballot vote on other questions than elections (location of the national headquarters, and the location of the next convention), but the principle is the same: "...each question to be voted on [i.e., each open office] appears on the ballot with a list of the possible answers [i.e., the nominees] beside blank spaces or boxes, so that the voter can check the answer he desires." And of course, for an election, a space for a write-in needs to be provided.

That's what should be on the ballot, according to Robert's rules. Only nominations. No space wasted on the name of the departing incumbent (oh, let's call her Wilma, 'cause it almost sounds like "whimsy," or some other reason), nor for the name of the non-departing rhododendron on the windowsill. (Since, at least for the first round, the ballots are pre-printed, photographs of the azaleas, if they are in color, are permitted. See the discussion of recording devices at the bottom of p. 265 for the description of an analogous rule, which can be considered persuasive if it won't pass as amusing.)

Possibly the person in question sees it as a matter of equity - if other board members get their names on the ballot as incumbents, then by golly she should as well.

I suggest that not labeling people as incumbents on the ballot may help. All positions, presumably, are meant to be open - after all, that's why you're having an election. List names, only, of all nominees.

Archived