The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws

Guest David Hartwell

Our bylaws state in Article 3 Section 3 that all active member present at the meeting are eligible to nominate and vote for officers and directors. But in article 6 section 2 Associate member do not have voting rights. Which section should we go by? Our organization has two different classification of members. Please Help me with this.

Guest David A. Foulkes

Our organization has two different classification of members.

RONR has one - members with all rights of membership, including voting, nominating and more. If your org, through its bylaws, creates another class of membership, it (the org, and bylaws) needs to determine what rights are and aren't available to the associate members. You might find some insights in the section on bylaw interpretation, pp. 588-591 (RONR 11th Ed.).

Which section should we go by?

Both sections.

Bylaws can only be properly interpreted by reading them in their entirety. Summarized excerpts just won't do. But you may be surprised to find that the two rules are not in conflict at all. Drawing a Venn diagram might help. As well as the pages cited by our guest, Mr. Foulkes.

Even if it doesn't, it's a lot of fun. Always enjoyed them in math class. Good times.......

As a mathematics student, this saddens me.

In 4th grade when we took the aptitude tests I scored the 12th grade 9th month in math concepts but when we were learning in college how to create Venn Diagrams I was scratching my head the whole time (still am).

Archived