The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Majority or Plurality in Elections

Guest Phil N

My state organization's Constitution and By-Laws do not specify that an officer must be elected by a majority vote. In the past, we have made the selection based on a plurality in some years, a majority in others. However, I seem to recall reading awhile ago in RONR that if there is no provision stating otherwise, a candidate must receive a majority of the votes cast to be elected. When I went back to check, I could not locate the paragraph I wanted. Am I mis-remembering? If not, could you indicate which chapter/section (or even page number) of RONR I should find this information in?

In other words, a majority of votes cast is required to elect. So if only on person votes, that person elects whoever he/she voted for. Members have the right to abstain which does factor into whether or not a member is elected.

First sentence: . . . whomever . . .

Second sentence: Abstaining may factor into the election, in some abstract way, but an abstention has no effect in the tabulating of the votes (except to make it consume less time).

Apparently, I had trouble counting the sentences, but my point was that it should be "whomever," in place of whoever.

I just wanted to point it out before Shmuel did. :)

I don't think I would have pointed it out at all.

I find it much more annoying when someone uses "whomever" instead of "whoever", or "I" instead of "me", than the other way around. But maybe that's just I. :)

Archived