The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentary abuse locked?

I am truly trying to understand the questions and responses  posted in this thread.

At times the responses  seem to conflict.

I have read and re-read everything suggested.  

I have served as a Sergeant-At-Arms and Parliamentarian since high school on various boards.

How does locking a thread help me or anyone?

Should I have started a new thread?

http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/19098-parliamentary-abuse/

Respectfully.

Steeves

I am truly trying to understand the questions and responses  posted in this thread.

At times the responses  seem to conflict.

I have read and re-read everything suggested.  

I have served as a Sergeant-At-Arms and Parliamentarian since high school on various boards.

How does locking a thread help me or anyone?

Should I have started a new thread?

http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/19098-parliamentary-abuse/

I suspect our esteemed moderator concluded that the thread was rapidly veering into Bylaws interpretation, a situation that I suspect I did not help with my comments about the rule pertaining to meetings.

You can try making a new thread so long as you contain your questions to RONR. As for the conflicts, I suspect that's because many of us (myself included) were unclear on the situation.

Thank you 1st Church and Mr Martin.

I posted the bylaws for the convenience of those that were responding/reading the thread.

I also stated I was not asking for interpretation of the bylaws.

http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/19098-parliamentary-abuse/?p=100375

I felt frustrated when I got a response "depending on what your bylaws state",  and I would post the bylaw, which in several cases, only  added more questions.

If someone had asked me to take it down, rather then Guest_Edgar (bless his heart) making a passive comment on the board about locking the thread, I would have done so. Guest_Edgar could have sent me a message. Unless he can't, because he is only a guest. 

I suspect our esteemed moderator concluded that the thread was rapidly veering into Bylaws interpretation, a situation that I suspect I did not help with my comments about the rule pertaining to meetings.

You can try making a new thread so long as you contain your questions to RONR. As for the conflicts, I suspect that's because many of us (myself included) were unclear on the situation.

Which is why I posted the bylaws.

Probably 1stCurch's "I think posting your bylaws was the 'kiss of death" for the thread," Post 2, says it. But I do think that the rest of the posts here make legitimate points.

Steeves:

"I felt frustrated when I got a response "depending on what your bylaws state", and I would post the bylaw, which in several cases, only added more questions."

Understandable frustration ... but, although this is the world's premiere Internet parliamentary forum, we limit our parliamentary forumism (or forumocity or forumicity, take your pick; or, perhaps more formally, forumlocution) here to discussing the Rules in RONR, except, for example, when, as Mr Martin flagitiously suggested on the thread (pointing with monstrous injustice to my really innocuous Post 29), we think we can get away with it.

I myself would have preferred, instead of locking, that the post containing the bylaws have been deleted, with a simple statement saying that it had been deleted and reminding posters to stick to RONR. Wouldn't have been much trouble, barely more effort than locking the entire thread, but I but the moderator was somewhat out of his head worrying about maybe being awakened from now on by his 40-or 50-year-old grandchildren jumping up and down on his bed at 5 or 6 every morning shouting Grampa! Grampa! and wanting to read to him the RONR forum overnights.

Archived