The Official RONR Q & A Forums

self-interested motions

rhammar

The method for amending the bylaws is to be found in the bylaws, and must be followed.  If it's not there (and those would be crummy bylaws indeed) then there are default rules in RONR, but check your bylaws first.

It may be that your rule requires previous notice, and if it does then nobody can just jump up and propose an amendment.  It's also very likely that it will require more than just a majority vote to pass, and of course it would depend on whether this was a general membership meeting, or a board meeting (if you have a board). 

More details from you ==> better answers from us.

All bylaw requirements are met. That's not the question. The question is whether the president can make a motion to amend the bylaws during the meeting to extend the term of his office from one to three years. I see nothing in RONR that would prevent a self-interested motion, but wanted to see if I am missing something.

Is it that a member (president, coincidentally) wants to amend the bylaws to increase the length of his and only his term of office?

or is it that the member wants to amend the bylaws and change terms of office for all officers from one to three years?

Other than a pecuniary interest not in common with other members, I doubt you'll find RONR addressing a "self-interested" motion.  besides, some might look at an increased length of term as more work and aggravation and thus not in their own best interest!

All bylaw requirements are met. That's not the question. The question is whether the president can make a motion to amend the bylaws during the meeting to extend the term of his office from one to three years. I see nothing in RONR that would prevent a self-interested motion, but wanted to see if I am missing something.

I don't think you are.

No rule in RONR would prevent it.

Unless the officer is wording the proposed bylaw amendment in such a way that it will only affect him (and not future members holding the office), I don't think those rules apply.

Archived