The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Prior notice of resolution to remove directors

Guest Guest

Is a notice requirement in the bylaws considered a "rule" than can be suspended at a general meeting?

Rules protecting absentees cannot be suspended.

It should be noted, however, that a rule requiring previous notice of a motion simply in order to enable its adoption by majority vote (such as the rule in RONR, 11th ed., p. 653, ll. 30-34, relating to the vote requirement for removal from office under certain circumstances) is not a rule protecting absentees.

Sorry Dan, I failed to identify myself in the OP. I am a novice, and this forum has been very instructive.

We want to remove director x by suspending the rule in the bylaw requiring notice. I now know this is not permitted, and I think I understand why: the bylaw requiring notice is a general principle protecting absentees (obviously in need of protection!) and the rule cannot be suspended in a particular instance simply because the director involved may, in fact, be present.

Sorry Dan, I failed to identify myself in the OP. I am a novice, and this forum has been very instructive.

We want to remove director x by suspending the rule in the bylaw requiring notice. I now know this is not permitted, and I think I understand why: the bylaw requiring notice is a general principle protecting absentees (obviously in need of protection!) and the rule cannot be suspended in a particular instance simply because the director involved may, in fact, be present.

Protecting absentees doesn't refer to the director, it refers to people who might have attended the meeting to vote, if they knew that a particular issue was being voted on, but who stayed away because they counted on the fact that it would not be. 

So you can't just show up and suspend the notice requirement.  People who are there clearly don't need notice--it protects those who are not there.

Protecting absentees doesn't refer to the director, it refers to people who might have attended the meeting to vote, if they knew that a particular issue was being voted on, but who stayed away because they counted on the fact that it would not be. 

So you can't just show up and suspend the notice requirement.  People who are there clearly don't need notice--it protects those who are not there.

That logic would suggest that a notice of any meeting should include all business to be considered, protecting absentees in all instances.

Well, we still need to know exacly what it says in order to properly respond to your question.

Its says: Members by resolution passed by at least two-thirds of the votes cast at a general meeting of which notice specifying the intention to pass such resolution has been given, remove any director before the expiration of his/her term of office.

It's a bylaw; there is no question involving the rules. If it were otherwise, it could not be suspended in any case because it would then be a rule protecting absentees.

Its says: Members by resolution passed by at least two-thirds of the votes cast at a general meeting of which notice specifying the intention to pass such resolution has been given, remove any director before the expiration of his/her term of office.

It's a bylaw; there is no question involving the rules. If it were otherwise, it could not be suspended in any case because it would then be a rule protecting absentees.

Yes, I agree that this requirement of notice protects absentees, and cannot be suspended.

Archived