The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Change of location of meeting when notice has been sent out

Louise

Our bylaws require due notice of the date, time and location of meetings.

Is it possible for the location of a meeting to be changed once the notice has gone out, if the new location shares the parking lot of the orginal location (i.e. they are a very, very short walking distance from each other) and they are the only two buildings in 100 miles?

Is it possible for the location of a meeting to be changed once the notice has gone out, if the new location shares the parking lot of the orginal location (i.e. they are a very, very short walking distance from each other) and they are the only two buildings in 100 miles?

Can a new notice be issued in the required timeframe?

As a practical matter, is there any valid reason for a complaint?

Can a new notice be issued in the required timeframe?

Nope.

Personally I'd just have a few people get there really early and direct everyone to the neighboring building, but that's technically not in accordance with the rules.  Someone is bound to get huffy, especially late arrivals unless someone stays outside for a while.

If you're a picky bunch you can be more formal - If the society has no provision in its rules as to the place, convene the meeting at the original location at the time stated in the call and adopt a motion to fix the time to which to adjourn, setting the same date, a time (obviously a short time later), and the new building as the place.  The convene it at the neigbhoring building at the proper time. Keep a volunteer or two outside just in case you have late arrivals.

As a practical matter, is there any valid reason for a complaint?

Snort.

I'm hoping not. I've heard a rumor that someone is not happy that the meeting has to be in *that* building instead of in the one it was originally supposed to be in. So should this person decide to object to the change of location and want to postpone the meeting, I'd like to be prepared.

Personally I'd just have a few people get there really early and direct everyone to the neighboring building, but that's technically not in accordance with the rules.  Someone is bound to get huffy, especially late arrivals unless someone stays outside for a while.

If you're a picky bunch you can be more formal - If the society has no provision in its rules as to the place, convene the meeting at the original location at the time stated in the call and adopt a motion to fix the time to which to adjourn, setting the same date, a time (obviously a short time later), and the new building as the place.  The convene it at the neigbhoring building at the proper time. Keep a volunteer or two outside just in case you have late arrivals.

Oh, there are already posters indicating the change in location on site (and they've been there for a week already), and we've sent out notice of the new correction via email to those on the email list. There just wasn't time to send a revised notice via regular post to those who don't have email.

We absolutely plan to have people (and signs) directing people to the new location.

If we do end up with an objection, I will recommend we do just what you suggest above.

Thank you. I was so hoping we didn't have to reschedule the meeting for another date. (Becuase I'm pretty sure that even if this one person is "picky", the majority will be fine with change in location.

Archived