The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous presentations, discussions of motions needed to rescind past motion?

Louise

Our organization's board is bringing forward a resolution to rescind a four-year old moton for a number of reasons.

The person who made the motion four years ago insists that before the organization can do so, each member should be supplied with a package that includes all of the presentations, other motions, and discussions that led to the motion that is being brought forward for rescinding.

I am unable to find anything in Robert's Rules about such a process being a requirement before a motion can be rescinded.

Am I not looking in the right places?

I have no idea whether you are looking in the right places, but I know there are no such requirements in Robert's Rules. :)

Thank you.

I am completely comfortable taking your word for it. :)

He's right. You must genuflect and worship him as the goddess he is, and present him to your crocodiles for the appropriate discussion.

Ms. N., your comments help me to not miss Mr. Tesser quite so much... ;)

The person who made the motion four years ago insists that before the organization can do so, each member should be supplied with a package that includes all of the presentations, other motions, and discussions that led to the motion that is being brought forward for rescinding.

I notice that you say he claims this should be done.  That is certainly an opinion he can offer when it's his turn to weigh in on the matter during debate. But if he's claiming that's required, he's all wet.

I notice that you say he claims this should be done.  That is certainly an opinion he can offer when it's his turn to weigh in on the matter during debate. But if he's claiming that's required, he's all wet.

Agreed. He absolutely can offer his opinion on the matter, and it will be up to the organization to decide if that would be a worthwhile course to take before voting to rescind this motion.

I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a memo somewhere in RONR before the debate occurs. "Be prepared" and all that... ;)

Archived