The Official RONR Q & A Forums

change of mind

rhammar

RONR doesn't have a mechanism for removing one's name as a nominee. What a person can do in that case is make it known that, if elected, he or she will not accept the office, and obviously that statement should be made before voting begins. Since the ability to vote for any eligible candidate is a right of every member, there really is no way to prevent anyone from voting for the nominee who doesn't want to be considered.

The only question I would raise about your situation is that it was probably not in order for this person to announce both his unwillingness to stand for election and his subsequent change of heart while balloting was going on:  "Interruptions during the taking of a vote are permitted only before any member has actually voted, unless, as sometimes occurs in ballot voting, other business is being transacted during voting..." (RONR, 11th ed. p.408, ll.9-12). Were there breaks between successive balloting during which other business was being conducted?

The only question I would raise about your situation is that it was probably not in order for this person to announce both his unwillingness to stand for election and his subsequent change of heart while balloting was going on:  "Interruptions during the taking of a vote are permitted only before any member has actually voted, unless, as sometimes occurs in ballot voting, other business is being transacted during voting..." (RONR, 11th ed. p.408, ll.9-12). Were there breaks between successive balloting during which other business was being conducted?

Even if there wasn't other business being conducted, it would seem that it is in order to make motions between rounds of balloting, such as to postpone the election or to reopen nominations. So I don't see an issue with the member making such a comment between rounds of balloting. In other words, I don't think the breaks between rounds of balloting are considered to be "during the taking of a vote."

Archived