The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to vote by ballot - when should it be made?

Louise

Our bylaws require a ballot vote for elections; otherwise they prescribe a show of hands.

However, a sensitive motion will be forthcoming, and I would like to make a motion for a ballot vote in this case. When would I do that: before the sensitive motion is made; before any discussion takes place; or just prior to the vote being taken (after discussion on the motion is over)?

Our bylaws require a ballot vote for elections; otherwise they prescribe a show of hands.

However, a sensitive motion will be forthcoming, and I would like to make a motion for a ballot vote in this case. When would I do that: before the sensitive motion is made; before any discussion takes place; or just prior to the vote being taken (after discussion on the motion is over)?

Just obtain the floor sometime after the chair states the question and before the vote is taken.  The incidental motion to vote by ballot requires a second, is not debatable, and requires a majority vote to adopt.  There is no requirement to make it before debate takes place on the main motion.  See RONR (11th ed.), pp. 283-286 for more details.

Thank you, Mr. Mervosh. I did read pages 283-286 before posting my question, but (believe it or not), I still wasn't clear on this...

...okay, never mind. I apparently skipped over lines 23-32 on page 283, as I was (cough - too - cough) focused on the next section that discussed "method of voting".

My bad.

It's all crystal clear now. :)

What if the bylaws actually require a voice vote, would it then necessitate a motion to suspend the rules and a 2/3 vote?

Maybe "prescribe" in this context doesn't mean require, but I'm curious.

Assuming a show of hands or voice is required by the bylaws, yes, a motion to vote by ballot would take a 2/3 vote.

Unless your assembly is quite small, it is probably unwise to use a show of hands. It would be prudent to amend the bylaws to change this rule (or to remove it altogether and just use RONR's rules for voting).

Archived