The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3 votes and where abstentions go - any binding to abstentions going to the majority

Guest Julie

In a 2/3 vote with abstentions do the abstentions got to the majority or are they not counted at all lowering the 2/3 count?

I need some help in this area.

Abstentions are not taken into account at all.   See FAQ # 6   http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#6

(Our moderator will likely move this question to the General Discussion Forum when the fish quit biting in the bay)

Well not to undermine your reducing my query #6 on the general page further states - On the other hand, if the vote required is a majority or two thirds of the members present, or a majority or two thirds of the entire membership, an abstention will have the same effect as a “no” vote. Even in such a case, however, an abstention is not a vote and is not counted as a vote. [RONR (11th ed.), p. 400, ll. 7-12; p. 401, ll. 8-11; p. 403, ll. 13-24; see also p. 66 of RONRIB.]

Well not to undermine your reducing my query #6 on the general page further states - On the other hand, if the vote required is a majority or two thirds of the members present, or a majority or two thirds of the entire membership, an abstention will have the same effect as a “no” vote. Even in such a case, however, an abstention is not a vote and is not counted as a vote. [RONR (11th ed.), p. 400, ll. 7-12; p. 401, ll. 8-11; p. 403, ll. 13-24; see also p. 66 of RONRIB.]

Yes, but your initial post says a "2/3 vote", and if that's what you meant when you typed it, then the bolded part is not applicable.

This part of the FAQ applies to a 2/3 vote In the usual situation, where either a majority vote or a two-thirds vote is required, abstentions have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the vote since what is required is either a majority or two thirds of the votes cast.

Here's my situation on a vote requiring 2/3 majority. 8 yes, 5 no, and 1 abstention (not counted in the total tally the 2/3 was from). There's a percentage missing from the votes counted for the RRO 2/3 however there's also a binding adoption of a lack of percentages for voting purposes so essentially then is that enough? I'm not sure how the abstention falls into play also. There was a prior decision entity wise where by the abstention that vote went to the majority in that case and wanted something to reiterate that decision.  

Here's my situation on a vote requiring 2/3 majority. 8 yes, 5 no, and 1 abstention (not counted in the total tally the 2/3 was from). There's a percentage missing from the votes counted for the RRO 2/3 however there's also a binding adoption of a lack of percentages for voting purposes so essentially then is that enough? I'm not sure how the abstention falls into play also. There was a prior decision entity wise where by the abstention that vote went to the majority in that case and wanted something to reiterate that decision.  

I'm a bit unclear on exactly what you're saying but the prior decision you mention is not correct under the rules in RONR.  A 2/3 vote was not achieved according to the numbers you provided here. 

Here's my situation on a vote requiring 2/3 majority. 8 yes, 5 no, and 1 abstention (not counted in the total tally the 2/3 was from). There's a percentage missing from the votes counted for the RRO 2/3 however there's also a binding adoption of a lack of percentages for voting purposes so essentially then is that enough?

The numbers you describe don't add up to a 2/3 vote no matter how the abstention is counted. I also have no idea what you mean by "there's also a binding adoption of a lack of percentages for voting purposes."

There was a prior decision entity wise where by the abstention that vote went to the majority in that case and wanted something to reiterate that decision.  

An abstention is not added to the votes of the majority, if that is your question.

Archived