The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proposed bylaws changes written by one person?

lance_a_simon

Greetings,

It was announced at our general meeting (but not at our last Board meeting) that one Board member is drafting a significant set of by-law changes. Our Board year ends in May and our outgoing president would be presiding over the vote on these changes in May. Two questions:

1) It seems unusual for a single individual to take up this task without discussion or notice to the Board. Comments?

2) It seems unusual for an outgoing president to oversee changes to the by-laws. I would think it's better to have a new Board take up this action. Comments?

Thank you!

I do not see anything improper in the process described. When the proposed amendments or revision to the bylaws comes before the assembly, the assembly can amend or just flat-out reject them if it doesn't like them. Any member can, by following the usual process, propose bylaw amendments.

Be glad that you have anyone at all prepared to move bylaw amendments, as it is not exactly a glamorous job.

1) It seems unusual for a single individual to take up this task without discussion or notice to the Board. Comments?

Perhaps to you.  Keep in mind that "[t]he bylaws should always prescribe the procedure for their amendment..." (RONR 11th Ed, p. 580 ll. 25 - p. 581 l. 7)  It's there that any restriction(s), such as amendments being first passed by the Board, or only developed by a committee, would be found that would in some way invalidate this individual's efforts.  Sometimes, a committee is formed by resolution to review bylaws and propose changes, but in the long run, a proposed bylaw amendment is offered by motion/resolution and making motions/resolutions is the sort of thing members (have the right to) do (RONR 11 ed. p. 3 ll. 1-5).  Nothing in RONR says members are limited to x number of individual amendments, or that a "significant set of by-law changes" can only be proposed by committee, with or without Board notice.

2) It seems unusual for an outgoing president to oversee changes to the by-laws. I would think it's better to have a new Board take up this action.

Why?  What does any of this have to do with any of that?

Continuing on, the president (whether he's outgoing or introverted) doesn't "oversee changes" to the by-laws (unless your bylaws say he does), unless you mean preside at the meeting at which they will be considered.  Also, the "new Board" doesn't "oversee changes" either (unless your bylaws say it does), and probably doesn't have anything to do with it at all.

I once took up such a task. Someone had to!

My proposed revision wasn't adopted but at least the board were alerted to the substantial deficiencies in the existing bylaws and a (very different) revision was eventually adopted.

Archived