The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Commitee presentation at AGM

Louise

Our board has a number of committees working on various tasks. These committees were formed by the board, and their members were appointed by the board.

One committee would like to give a presentation to the general membership at the AGM, but it has not given the board any inkling as to what it will be presenting.

As a board member, I am not comfortable with this committee presenting...well, who knows what? It may well be fine, but wouldn't the proper order of things have the board approve the content of this committee's presentation first?

Eh?   When the board established the committee, the board presumably gave it instructions, most likely o report back to the board.

Or did you mean the Board could ask the committee to give its report to the general membership at the AGM?  Sure.  The Board is in charge of what the committee has presented.

The board can also invite the committee to present, yes? (But is not obligated to do so.)

Well, it wouldn't need to invite the committee to report to the board at a board meeting, since that's presumably why it established the committee.

The board could not invite the committee to report at a membership meeting, because it's not the board's meeting.  And the committee has no right to report to anyone other than the board, on it's own initiative.

Once the committee has reported to the board, the board might want to make that information available to the membership, but the board has every right to know what the committee would be reporting before it does so.

Does that cover it?

The Board could, however, agree to report that the committee produced a report, and include the committee's report in that report. And the Board could, assuming it has the authority to delegate, delegate its power to adopt that report to the committee in question.

So if the Board agrees to allow the committee to report to the general meeting, I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed as a short-cut, although it should be presented with the understanding that the committee is presenting on behalf of the Board, and that the Board is responsible for the content. If the committee wants to report of its own initiative, though, then it cannot do so.

Well, it wouldn't need to invite the committee to report to the board at a board meeting, since that's presumably why it established the committee.

The board could not invite the committee to report at a membership meeting, because it's not the board's meeting.  And the committee has no right to report to anyone other than the board, on it's own initiative.

Once the committee has reported to the board, the board might want to make that information available to the membership, but the board has every right to know what the committee would be reporting before it does so.

Does that cover it?

It's entirely possible for the board to grant permission to the committee to present at a meeting of the general membership. The general membership would also need to give the member who's making this presentation permission to make remarks when no question is pending. It's correct that this will not formally be a "report" of the committee in the parliamentary sense, but I doubt anyone cares, except perhaps for regular posters on this forum.  :)

Since the board is subordinate to the general membership in much the same way that the committee is subordinate to the board, the general membership could also adopt a motion ordering the board to let the committee make a presentation. As noted, however, the committee cannot make this decision on its own.

:)

Clearly I should have checked back sooner. You guys are always so prolific.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the input.

I (sometimes) think I'm starting to get a hang of The Rules. Although not so much that I dare answer questions; I think I know enough to be dangerous rather than all that helpful. ;)

Hmm. I appear unable to use the quote or multiquote function for some reason...however, I am pleased to report, Mr. Tesser, that not only do I have a copy of RONR - in Brief, but so does every member on our board. (Okay, to be more clear, the organization actually owns the books - although I also have my own personal copy - and each board member will pass their copy on to his/her successor.)

Now whether or not they've all read through it is another question...

I (sometimes) think I'm starting to get a hang of The Rules. Although not so much that I dare answer questions; I think I know enough to be dangerous rather than all that helpful. ;)

Come on.  You've answered questions here already, and usually impeccably.

Hmm. I appear unable to use the quote or multiquote function for some reason.,,,

Now whether or not they've all read through it is another question...

I never got the hang of it.  And last week Josh Martin revealed that he almost copies everything over and over by hand.  If he can ...

Take them to the bookstore, then tie them up.

Archived