The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending the rules so the chair may share input?

Guest Robert

Greetings!

I am inquiring about the provision in RONR that states that the chair should refrain from entering debate and voting in certain instances during a meeting. Is this a rule set upon the chair?

Many of my organization's members view it as a rule that we continue to enforce. We wish to keep the chair from attempting to influence our decisions.

As it turns out, there are members who wish to allow the chair to provide his personal input and vote by suspending the rules. Is that a valid provision that may be suspended? If so, is there a way to object to the motion? Since suspending the rules is not a debatable motion, are there any other procedural methods to block the ability to permit the chair to provide input? If there is, would anyone have a reference to the RONR 11th Edition to where I may find that?

I'd greatly appreciate any input/clarification! Apologies if my explanation is a bit confusing or a misinterpretation of RONR.

Thanks so much!

Greetings!

I am inquiring about the provision in RONR that states that the chair should refrain from entering debate and voting in certain instances during a meeting. Is this a rule set upon the chair?

Many of my organization's members view it as a rule that we continue to enforce. We wish to keep the chair from attempting to influence our decisions.

As it turns out, there are members who wish to allow the chair to provide his personal input and vote by suspending the rules. Is that a valid provision that may be suspended? If so, is there a way to object to the motion? Since suspending the rules is not a debatable motion, are there any other procedural methods to block the ability to permit the chair to provide input? If there is, would anyone have a reference to the RONR 11th Edition to where I may find that?

I'd greatly appreciate any input/clarification! Apologies if my explanation is a bit confusing or a misinterpretation of RONR.

Thanks so much!

The rules against the chair's participation in debate, and concerning what he must do if he feels he must participate in debate, are found on pages 394-95. These are important rules, and are not to be taken lightly.

Nevertheless, an assembly may, if it wishes, suspend these rules in order to permit its presiding officer to participate in debate without relinquishing the chair. There is no way to object to or otherwise prevent such a motion from being made, but it will require a two-thirds vote for its adoption.

Archived