The Official RONR Q & A Forums

If a motion fails, is an opposite motion needed to deny it?

Guest Scott

On the question "should the Board renew this contract?", the following motion is made:  "I move to renew the contract of XYZ."  The motion fails for lack of votes.  Does that mean the contract is not renewed, or is the following motion needed "I move to not renew the contract of XYZ?"

On the question "should the Board renew this contract?", the following motion is made:  "I move to renew the contract of XYZ."  The motion fails for lack of votes.  Does that mean the contract is not renewed, or is the following motion needed "I move to not renew the contract of XYZ?"

If the motion to renew the contract is defeated, it means that the contract is not renewed. That's the end of it.

In a very practical sense, I am not sure that is (or should be) the end of it. Many kinds of contracted products/services are absolutely essential to the functioning of organizations - so if this contract's not being renewed is for such a service - then steps need to have been or be taken to make sure vital products and services continue - unless it is the true desire of the Board to terminate such products/services. Suppose, for example, the contract was for fuel to heat the organization's facilities - and the outdoor temperatures were below freezing. Just defeating a motion to renew a contract for fuel service/delivery might mean bad/catastrophic consequences for the facilities.

In a very practical sense, I am not sure that is (or should be) the end of it. Many kinds of contracted products/services are absolutely essential to the functioning of organizations - so if this contract's not being renewed is for such a service - then steps need to have been or be taken to make sure vital products and services continue - unless it is the true desire of the Board to terminate such products/services. Suppose, for example, the contract was for fuel to heat the organization's facilities - and the outdoor temperatures were below freezing. Just defeating a motion to renew a contract for fuel service/delivery might mean bad/catastrophic consequences for the facilities.

When I said "That's the end of it", I meant, in direct response to the question asked, that it is neither necessary nor in order to move that the contract not be renewed. When the assembly rejected the motion to renew, it decided not to renew the contract. Whether this was a good decision or a bad decision, or whether failure to renew the contract means that something else probably ought to be done, is entirely irrelevant.

In a very practical sense, I am not sure that is (or should be) the end of it.

Well, it is the end as far as that contract is concerned, from a parliamentary point of view.  If you want to buy fuel from somewhere else, or at a different price, or different grade, then that will take another motion.

The trouble arises when someone makes the ill-advised motion "to reject the contract with Acme Oil", and it fails.  Does that then mean that the contract is approved?  I hope not, but the question of this thread suggests that some people might think that's the case.

In fact, it would be possible not to renew the contract by simply doing nothing and letting it expire.  Any motion that seeks to do nothing--i.e., that could be achieved by making no motion at all (a negative motion) is not in order.

Indeed, and in such a case a member would be well-advised to move that an agreement be entered into with an alternative provider, a committee be established to obtain quotations from three fuel vendors, or that the organization relocate to San Diego.

Archived