The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Written Ballot on proposed amendment change

Guest Rita

We have a proposed amendment change to our state constitution. Each chapter must vote on it. So is this the correct procedure:

Read the amendment current and proposed

Ask for a motion to accept and second - state the motion

Ask for discussion

State that this motion requires a majority or 2/3ds vote by written ballot by chapter members present

The treasurer will anounce the number presente entitled to vote

Those in favor _ state motion _ will write pro.  Those oppose will write con.

Will ____ & ____ act as tellers

(Do I need 2 tellers)

Normally it is our vice president that passes & collects the ballots. Then the President and recording secrectary does the counting.

Please detail  how it should be done or where it can be modified.

Thanks you

It is not usual for the treasurer to announce "the number presente [sic] entitled to vote".

Under RONR, the tellers pass and collect the ballots, do the counting, and report on these to the assembly.

There is no need to use a ballot vote unless your bylaws/constitution require this (which they might).

Pages 412-418 of Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised, 11th Edition explain the ballot process in detail.

Will ____ & ____ act as tellers

(Do I need 2 tellers)

RONR does not specify a certain number of tellers, but the recommended procedure for counting ballots discussed in Parliamentary Law and the CD-ROM edition of RONR recommends five tellers. I've seen smaller assemblies get by just fine with three or four, but two seems a bit on the low end to me.

There is no need to use a ballot vote unless your bylaws/constitution require this (which they might).

No, but it's not a horrible idea if the proposed amendment is something other than a no-brainer that will easily sail through since RONR recommends:

"The final vote on a bylaw amendment should be counted and recorded in the minutes unless it is nearly unanimous."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 594

Archived