The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Biennial meeting not held

D_K

The bylaws of a state political party say that each county party is to hold an organizational meeting every January of odd numbered years to elect officers. Officers hold office for two years or until successors are elected. If a county party did not hold this meeting or any other meeting since then, would the officer elections be considered incomplete? I reviewed page 444 of RONR, but it does not appear to apply directly because it refers to societies that meet at least quarterly, and we are well beyond that here.

JJ, are you saying that the officers who are currently in office, having been elected in January of 2011 without a meeting's having being held in January of 2013 or at all since then, should stay in place until January of 2015?  Or do you mean that the election, delayed now over a year, should still be held as soon as possible?

Also, do you figure this answers his question, is the election incomplete?  (If you do, please explain it to me.)

(If the choice in terminology is restricted to, "incomplete" or "complete", I would vote, with some pain, like voting for Democrats, for "incomplete," since it's less of an unreal description of current circumstances.  But it's hard to keep it down because "incomplete" does imply a process that has begun.  Which D_K's has not.)

And, while we're pondering whether something which never began can be said to be "incomplete", we can ponder whether "biannual" means every two years (as suggested here) or twice a year. Or both.

The proper term here is "biennial", and it means every two years.  Something that occurs twice a year is semi-annual.  But most dictionaries define bi-annual and semi-annual to be synonymous, while those same dictionaries define bi-monthly as occurring every other month  The only possible explanation is that the English language is just wrong.

I'm sure we can all agree however, that an election that hasn't yet taken place is not yet completed.

Therefore, the election should be completed as soon as possible.  It would not be correct to simply allow the current officers to continue in office without an election.

J.J., I agree that the officers last elected remain in office as stated on pp. 573-574. Do you agree that an election can be held at anytime, provided proper notice is given?

An election can be held at "at any time" so long as "any time" is at a properly called meeting meeting with a quorum. :)

Notice is not actually required to complete an incomplete election, but it is certainly a good idea, especially given these circumstances.

Therefore, the election should be completed as soon as possible.  It would not be correct to simply allow the current officers to continue in office without an election.

Certainly, but for an assembly which regularly meets biennially, it may well be that the next regular meeting is the soonest that is possible. Such assemblies do not always have a provision for calling special meetings, and even if such a provision is included, getting a quorum together for such a meeting may not be practical.

Archived