The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who votes for the board

Guest Jim R

I find it very difficult to believe that any reasonably legitimate organization doe not have governing documents (Bylaw, constitution, etc.) that specify how directors (Board members) are chosen/elected.

Once chosen/elected, it is very common for an organization's Board to elect officers from among the Board members.

My earlier question on is the same as this.  Our bylaws state how the Officers are elected but not how the Board of Directors are elected.  Unfortunately we do not have any standing rules yet.  

Standing rules would not help you on this issue.  Are your board of directors members not officers?

I apologize for not posting a new thread.  This forum is new to me and will post a new thread in the future.  I am responding to Gary's question above.

Gary,

Our officers (executive board) are the typical:  President, VP1, VP2, Treasurer, and Secretary.  Then we have additional board chair positions: spirit, fundraising, publicity, hospitality, membership, room mom, and school board liaison.  This is a PTA.  The bylaws were updated in October but the president wasn't familiar with what should be included in them.  Therefore, we are doing the best we can with the document.  However, there have been recent problems/issues that I have been able to resolve with RONR.  Our officers were elected at the beginning of this year and they serve for two years.  A nominating committee was used  for both officer positions and regular board positions.  The nominating committee sends out a form to all parents listing the board positions.  The parents are instructed they can only nominate themselves.  Once the form is completed and returned the nominating committee reviews the forms.  Then they (5) vote on who should fill the positions. The officers were voted in by majority at the general meeting.  The other board positions were announced as they were voted on by the nominating committee.  Since this is not an officer election year the same nominating committee was used and the same process of voting for the additional board positions was used.  Is the chair required to open the floor to nominations at the general meeting if parents were provided an opportunity to nominate themselves using the form a month prior to the general meeting?  Our bylaws states that under Officer Election however, the additional board of directors section only addresses the duties.  

Thank you

Is the chair required to open the floor to nominations at the general meeting if parents were provided an opportunity to nominate themselves using the form a month prior to the general meeting?

Yes. If a nominating committee is used, nominations from the floor are called for unless the organization's rules provide otherwise.

Archived