The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is there any requirement for a Board to vote upon the acceptance of the resignation of an officer/member of executive

Namrogeau

A trade association has received the resignation of the President, two months into a 1 year term. President did not feel he had the support of the Board( he didn't). Some members of the Board ( the past -president's supporters) feel there should be a vote by the Board not to accept the resignation.

I can't find anything that would require the Board to vote on the matter. My feeling is if he has submitted his resignation the matter is at an end?

A trade association has received the resignation of the President, two months into a 1 year term. President did not feel he had the support of the Board( he didn't). Some members of the Board ( the past -president's supporters) feel there should be a vote by the Board not to accept the resignation.

I can't find anything that would require the Board to vote on the matter. My feeling is if he has submitted his resignation the matter is at an end?

Your feeling is incorrect. A resignation must be accepted before it is effective. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 289-292 for more information.

As a practical matter, however, you can't really force someone to continue serving. So the main reason to refuse to accept a resignation would be if the society wishes to pursue disciplinary action instead.

As a practical matter, however, you can't really force someone to continue serving.

No, not in most cases anyway, but sometimes it is easier to understand why it is necessary to accept a resignation before it is effective by considering that there are a few cases where a resignation has financial implications for the organization. So they might not only refuse to accept the resignation but they might take the person to court if he falls short on his duties. But in most cases, a resignation is just an inconvenience.

Archived