The Official RONR Q & A Forums

removing a person from an audit committee?

Guest cindy

What are the roles of the Audit Chair other than signing the finished audit.

The role of the Audit Chair is to preside over meetings of the Audit Committee. Any additional authority will be found in your bylaws or other governing documents.

Can a President remove a person from the audit committee without the vote of the board?

If your President has the authority to appoint persons to the Audit Committee, she likely has the authority to remove persons from the Audit Committee. Otherwise, probably not.

Another party from the council during elections of president and other officers. This is the only thing that speaks of Audit in by laws:

No mention of term for committee.

1. how many for the committee

2.who can't be apart, like treasurer, etc.

3. what the audit team is responsible for.

Just because the President is said to be ex officio, I think she feels she can do that, however; I don't think ex officio is meant to be used as such. Almost

as an abuse of power.Besides, the president shouldn't be having anything to do with committee during an audit process. I personally(being a member of the audit team) thinks that she is trying to manipulate the audit process. Your thoughts please.

Another party from the council during elections of president and other officers. This is the only thing that speaks of Audit in by laws:

No mention of term for committee.

1. how many for the committee

2.who can't be apart, like treasurer, etc.

3. what the audit team is responsible for.

Just because the President is said to be ex officio, I think she feels she can do that, however; I don't think ex officio is meant to be used as such. Almost

as an abuse of power.Besides, the president shouldn't be having anything to do with committee during an audit process. I personally(being a member of the audit team) thinks that she is trying to manipulate the audit process. Your thoughts please.

It appears from what you say that the Audit Committee members are elected by the general membership.  In that case only the general membership can remove someone from the Audit Committee - p. 497.

The remainder of your problems had best be looked at in person:

Anticipate your
Continuing  big troubles
Are procedural?

Should get in touch with
Real parliamentarian
In your area

As soon as you can
(Not virtual ones like us)
For consultations.

(Can you do Haiku better, please?)

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians
213 South Main St.
Independence, MO  64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929
Fax: 816-833-3893;  
e-mail: hq@NAP2.org  
<<www.parliamentarians.org>>

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians
550M Ritchie Highway #271
Severna Park, MD  21146

Phone: 888-664-0428
Fax: 410-544-4640
e-mail: aip@aipparl.org
<<www.aipparl.org>>

for a reference or information.

Ex-officio membership (from the Latin "arising out of the office") just means that the president is a member of a committee (or all committees, or some committees) because she holds the office of president.   It expresses the reason for being a member, but does not confer any extra powers, over and above what any member of that committee would have.

Archived