The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are voters allowed vote for an absentee election candidate

Tuliothx

I live in a New York City co-op. On the last board election, one of the incumbent candidate was absent from the board election meeting. The board went ahead with the election, allowing the name of the absentee candidate to remain on the ballot.

As the by-laws do not address this specific topic, was the board correct in allowing the absentee candidate to remain on the ballot, allowing the name of the absentee candidate to remain on the proxy ballots, and allow the voters to vote for this absentee candidate?

RONR (11th ed.), p. 644, ll. 17-23:  "An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to this candidacy.  If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline."

BTW, Tuliothx    , is that a picture of you in your co-op?  It sure doesn't look like mine here in Brooklyn.  If you don't mind, where was this taken?  I'd think I should recognize the rock at the upper left, or either of the watercraft towards the top, maybe even the Law & Order actor in the foreground; but I got nothin'.

Archived