The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How do we insert a "hot link"?

Highlight the word "here" in your text, then select the button above that looks like a chain link.  It will prompt you for the URL.

Okay, then what? How, exactly, do you insert the URL? I insert what I have previously highlighted for this purpose, but after I insert it and click "enter" I  now have a link, but it turns out to be a link to the Community Index page.  :(

Okay, then what? 

Go to the page (or post) that you want to link to. If it's a web page, copy the URL from the window at the top of the browser (highlight the URL and right-click). If it's a post on this forum, right-click on the post number (e.g. "#3") and then select "Copy link address".

Then select ("highlight") the text in your reply that you want to serve as a link. Then click on the "Link" icon and "paste" the previously copied URL (right-click and select "Paste as plain text").

Go to the page (or post) that you want to link to. If it's a web page, copy the URL from the window at the top of the browser (highlight the URL and right-click). If it's a post on this forum, right-click on the post number (e.g. "#3") and then select "Copy link address".

Then select ("highlight") the text in your reply that you want to serve as a link. Then click on the "Link" icon and "paste" the previously copied URL (right-click and select "Paste as plain text").

Thanks for this, but I'm a hopeless case. I still can't seem to make it work.

Thanks for this, but I'm a hopeless case. I still can't seem to make it work.

Perhaps an example will help.

1. I want to make the word "example" a link to post #6 so I first "select" (highlight) the word.

2. I then "right-click" on "#6" (or the little "wishbone" icon to the right of the number) and select "Copy link address" from the drop-down menu.

3. I then click on the "Link" icon (in the second row of icons just above the text-entry box), then "right-click" and select "Paste as plain text" from the drop-down menu. This will enter the previously copied URL (post #6), Click on "OK".

4. The highlighted text will now serve as a link to the post. If you wanted to instead link to a web page you would go to that page and copy its URL (again using "right-click") that's found at the top of the browser.

Alternatively, you can reverse the first two steps if that sequence seems more natural.

Note that by "copying" the URL you're putting it into the "clipboard". When you "copy" something new it will replace the existing contents of the clipboard.

I'm now using Firefox. The same procedure works (though the Firefox drop-down says "Copy Link Location" vs. Chrome's "Copy link address").

Note: By "right-click" I mean using the right mouse button (sorry if I'm stating the obvious). By the way, the right mouse button is a handy (and often overlooked) asset in many situations.

Perhaps an example will help.

1. I want to make the word "example" a link to post #6 so I first "select" (highlight) the word.

2. I then "right-click" on "#6" (or the little "wishbone" icon to the right of the number) and select "Copy link address" from the drop-down menu.

Using Firefox, when I right-click on the "wishbone icon", I don't get an option to "copy link address" on the drop down menu, but I do get an option to "copy link location".  Same thing?

Edited to add:  Never mind.  I see where you cleared that up in post number 11.  Thanks for all the help for those of us who aren't so computer savvy.

Dan, how about if you forget about using the icons altogether; instead, go to the webpage where FAQ#5 is, copy the web address from your browser, and insert that instead?  Will that make a difference, I wonder?

Sure, that's the way I have been doing it. I had hoped I might be able to do it in the more sophisticated fashion, but I despair. :(

Okay, suppose I want to link to FAQ #5 in this post.

This is what happens.

Well, you somehow managed to paste the URL of the forum's home page (http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?). Which means that's what was in your "clipboard". Which means you didn't copy the URL of FAQ #5 (or else it would have replaced what was in the clipboard).

If you go to the FAQs page and click on the link to FAQ #5, the URL in the window at the top of the browser will be http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#5 That's what you want to copy into the clipboard (and then paste into the appropriate field in the Link box).

Archived