The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Use of posts

mikalac

Whether you "need" permission or not, I think it would be common courtesy to ask for it (you could do this with an intra-forum message if the poster is a member). I think the poster would also want to know where (i.e. in what context), his post would be used.

Edited to add: A better alternative might be to simply link to the post you want to "display to others on the Internet". That way it will appear in its original context. And though you wouldn't need permission to do this, I'm sure the original poster would appreciate knowing where his post is being cited.

As Edgar said it should be a matter of common courtesy to ask permission before posting someone's remarks elsewhere.  Also, noting that I am not a lawyer and am not attempting to play one here, I have heard others opine that one's original thoughts could have some legal protections as being "intellectual property" so it might not be wise to do so without permission even if you were inclined to be discourteous.

Legally forum posts are copyrighted to the author and publishing them (making them available to others) without the author's permission is a violation of copyright laws. That said, since most forum posts aren't commercial ventures, there's not a whole lot you can do about it since most copyright suits are based on a loss of income to the author because of the theft. You can send a cease and desist, of course, and you can contact the host and/or service provider -- they often have strict copyright policies regardless of actual damages. For the most part, however, as sad a commentary on society as it is, it's practical to assume that if you put it online, you lose all control over where and how it is published.

Legally forum posts are copyrighted to the author and publishing them (making them available to others) without the author's permission is a violation of copyright laws. That said, since most forum posts aren't commercial ventures, there's not a whole lot you can do about it since most copyright suits are based on a loss of income to the author because of the theft. You can send a cease and desist, of course, and you can contact the host and/or service provider -- they often have strict copyright policies regardless of actual damages. For the most part, however, as sad a commentary on society as it is, it's practical to assume that if you put it online, you lose all control over where and how it is published.

Even though this not a commercial venture, why couldn't I sue the person for copyright infringement anyway, just to put the Fear of God into him when he is confronted with a letter from my lawyer? Unless he's a hardened b*st*rd who has been through this before, that ought to make him think twice about repeating his nonsense - with me, at least. IOW, use the law as a psychological tool.

. . .why couldn't I sue the person for copyright infringement anyway, just to put the Fear of God into him when he is confronted with a letter from my lawyer?

You're not willing to spend any money to hire a professional parliamentarian to help you with your parliamentary issues, but you are willing to hire a lawyer just to put the "Fear of God" into someone who might dare to copy and paste a post of yours somewhere else?

As Jay W said in post # 4, "it's practical to assume that if you put it online, you lose all control over where and how it is published."

Even though this not a commercial venture, why couldn't I sue the person for copyright infringement anyway, just to put the Fear of God into him when he is confronted with a letter from my lawyer? Unless he's a hardened b*st*rd who has been through this before, that ought to make him think twice about repeating his nonsense - with me, at least. IOW, use the law as a psychological tool.

Questions of this nature are completely beyond the purpose for which this forum is provided, and are subject to deletion without further notice.

Archived