The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President Overturning Majority Rule Vote

Guest Lou Guest

RONR gives the president the power to preside.  Other administrative duties and authority would have to come from your bylaws.  But I think it's safe to say that if the president has the power to do anything at all, in the face of opposition from the board, then there is little point in having a board.

Q. Are you (collectively) going to teach your president a lesson and discipline your president for such chutzpah?

Suspension?

Expulsion from office?

Or, perhaps, a less drastic penalty such as a motion of censure or a motion expressing disapproval.  You can also remove him from presiding at all or part of a session by a two-thirds vote.  RONR 11th edition at page 651 in the 26 page chapter on Disciplinary Procedures.

And, as Transpower said, you should raise a point of order immediately when it happens.  (I almost typed Transponder again: Once a pilot, it's hard to say "transpower" instead of "transponder").  Sigh. . . .

... I have to get me a book immediately.

If it won't strain your budget or bulging bookcases, get two:  along with your RONR, 11th Ed., grab the 2nd edition of RONR - In Brief, and read that first.  At once.  If you get it in a bookstore, and I mean tomorrow unless you're in Adelaide so it's still daytime and you can do it now, read it there, moving aside from the cashier so the other customers can buy their copies.  It'll take you an hour or so, standing there, unless you're a college graduate in which case it'll take you all day.  If you order it by mail, then stand there by the door and read it before doing anything else, maybe okay close the door so the fruit flies and zombies don't get in.

Archived