The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending Minutes before Meeting

Guest Anne

I have written and emailed  the minutes from a recent board meeting to attendees... and received two corrections back. 

What is the proper way to handle correcting and then resending out the minutes. (The next meeting isn't for one month.) Do I notate that corrections were made in the title or in the body of the minutes?

I have written and emailed  the minutes from a recent board meeting to attendees... and received two corrections back. 

What is the proper way to handle correcting and then resending out the minutes. (The next meeting isn't for one month.) Do I notate that corrections were made in the title or in the body of the minutes?

This is all entirely at your discretion. RONR doesn't get into such details.

. . . resending out the minutes . . .

"There's the rub." [Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet]

Robert's Rules of Order never requires minutes to be sent.

Or re-sent. Or re-re-sent.

Robert's Rules of Order assumes that minutes are presented inside a properly-called, quorate meeting, for the first exposure.

Minutes are corrected (i.e., "amended") in that first exposure.

Then approved.

If you need early feedback, then fine.

1. Send out draft minutes.

2. Get back corrections.

3. Incorporate corrections into corrected draft minutes.

4. Go to step #1

Repeat and rinse.

Then, like I said,

. . . minutes are presented inside a properly-called, quorate meeting.

As was noted, RONR doesn't require the minutes to be sent out at all. There's nothing wrong with doing so and it can be beneficial because people will send back comments. But whether you send them out again or not is up to you. Unless there are major changes to the draft, I wouldn't mess with it. Just make the changes needed and present the result as the minutes at the meeting. If there are additional changes or there is a dispute, people can bring those up at the meeting.

. . . it can be beneficial because people will send back comments. 

It can also obviate the need for reading the minutes aloud at the next meeting prior to their approval. But this won't be possible if the draft that's submitted at the meeting varies from the draft(s) distributed to the members.

Archived