The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling for a new election or re-election

rbadick

We had an election for treasurer and 8 board members. This election was completed.

Candidate who lost for treasurer wants to have another election so she can run for a board seat.

She was only a candidate for treasurer in the original election and lost.

She wants a "do over" just because she lost the election for treasurer???  And all of the offices were filled??     There are no vacancies?  Are we reading that right?  

I guess we have more complications than what I listed. Apparently existing directors are automatically added to the ballot of a new election for board members.

The person who lost the treasurers election is a board member and was not added to the ballot as a board nominee.

Should this election be re-run in its entirety or can we keep the results of the treasurer and just re-run the board of directors part?

Also can anyone suggest a site that explains a good structure for a junior type football organization. We need to take a look at our entire by-law setup.

Thanks

Bob

I guess we have more complications than what I listed. Apparently existing directors are automatically added to the ballot of a new election for board members.

Why?  Is this in the bylaws?  Or has it just become custom?  Are there no terms limits for directors? 

The person who lost the treasurers election is a board member and was not added to the ballot as a board nominee.

Why was she not added to the list of board nominees?    And do you not have a nominating committee?

Should this election be re-run in its entirety or can we keep the results of the treasurer and just re-run the board of directors part?

Why should you re-run any part of the election unless you violated a bylaw provision re the elections?   Even if you did violate a bylaw provision, it may still be too late to raise a point of order, depending on the precise nature of the violation.   The time for her (or anyone) to object and raise a point of order may well have been at the time of the elections.  With only a few exceptions, points of order must be raised at the time of the breach in order to give the assembly a chance to correct it.  We call it the "you snooze, you lose" rule.  There are some exceptions, though.

What do your bylaws say about this business of automatically putting the names of all existing board members back on the ballot for each election?

Also can anyone suggest a site that explains a good structure for a junior type football organization. We need to take a look at our entire by-law setup.

I cannot help you with a suggested structure for a junior type football organization, but RONR contains a good set of sample bylaws.  If that doesn't suit your needs, you might consider consulting with a professional parliamentarian. Both the NAP (National Association of Parliamentarians) and AIP (The American Institute of Parliamentarians) have websites and free referral services.  You can find them easily by just Googling their names.

The election should not be re-run at all. All of the results should be kept. The candidate should have said something at the time.  Since members could have still used write-in votes to elect this person, there is no continuing breach.

Archived