The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Corrections to Minutes

Guest Kimberly

If a person/member was not in attendance at a meeting, can they make corrections to the minutes, or should corrections only be made by members in attendance of the actual meeting?

This is the rule - " It should be noted that a member's absence from the meeting for which minutes are being approved does not prevent the member from participating in their correction or approval."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 355

If a person/member was not in attendance at a meeting, can they make corrections to the minutes, or should corrections only be made by members in attendance of the actual meeting?

Corrections can be made by any member, whether or not they were present during the meeting whose minutes are being approved, and whether or not they were even members back then.

Kimberly,

A mini lesson.

Minutes are always subject to correction (i.e., subject to being amended).

Example: Minutes dated way back to 1950, or even 1850, can be amended, if an error (a misspelling, for instance) is found.

Quiz:

For minutes of 1950 or 1850, must the old members amend the minutes? (They might be all dead.)

The answer is "No."

Members of 2014 may amend minutes original drafted and approved 50 years ago or 100 years ago.

• 2 years later...

A situation has arisen that prompted me to search the forum's and came across this thread. My question is this: After the minutes of a board meeting have been approved by the board, and distributed to the membership, what is the proper protocol for correcting a members name due to a misspelling? The error did not occur in any motion that took place, it simply occurred in an officers report. Does this warrant an amendment of the minutes post approval and publication?

Thank you,

I think this is a perfect example where a correction can be made by unanimous consent, and probably should be made by amendment at a meeting if the name was mis-spelled in an officer's written report. But note that written reports are not typically included in the minutes, only kept on file by the secretary, or as an attachment to the minutes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.