The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding a new Chapter, position on agenda? New business?

Guest Guest

When a new chapter is added to an organization where should it fall on the agenda?  New business?

Sure.  In fact, if you do it under New Business you don't even need an agenda.  If you do use them, you can put it anywhere you like among the other matters.

Mr. Novosielski is referring to the fact that RONR provides a standard order of business which should be followed unless the assembly adopts a different one or adopts an agenda for a particular meeting.  That standard order of business includes the heading "New Business" as the last item.  See page 353 of RONR.

here is the problem...there is a very important vote under old business...if the new voting Chapter is added early in meeting they will also have a vote, which seems to be the reason for organizing...

Well, it's now called Unfinished Business (not "old business") and, not surprisingly, it's considered before New Business. So it would seem you're good to go (with the Standard Order of Business).

Mr. Novosielski is referring to the fact that RONR provides a standard order of business which should be followed unless the assembly adopts a different one or adopts an agenda for a particular meeting.  That standard order of business includes the heading "New Business" as the last item.  See page 353 of RONR.

See FAQ #14. It doesn't become The Agenda until it's adopted at the start of the meeting.

Since it has never been "adopted" before, when should I protest the Agenda order?

here is the problem...there is a very important vote under old business...if the new voting Chapter is added early in meeting they will also have a vote, which seems to be the reason for organizing...

Regardless of where the item would normally come up in the standard order of business or in an agenda adopted for the meeting, a motion to suspend the rules and take the item up first (or at some other earlier point in the meeting) would be in order.  It takes a two-thirds vote to suspend the rules in that way.   Such suspension is usually done by unanimous consent if nobody objects.  If someone objects, you vote on the suspension.

See FAQ #14. It doesn't become The Agenda until it's adopted at the start of the meeting.

Since it has never been "adopted" before, when should I protest the Agenda order?

"Protest"?

No. -- Wrong tool for the job.

At the top of the meeting, make a motion, to amend the agenda so that the induction/recognition of the new chapter is handled early, like after the approval of minutes.

The motion should be readily adopted, I would hope.

At the top of the meeting, make a motion, to amend the agenda so that the induction/recognition of the new chapter is handled early, like after the approval of minutes.

I think our guest wants the addition of the new chapter to be considered after the consideration of Unfinished Business (hence the objection to the proposed agenda placing it first). So rejecting the agenda and following the Standard Order of Business should do the trick.

I think our guest wants the addition of the new chapter to be considered after the consideration of Unfinished Business (hence the objection to the proposed agenda placing it first). So rejecting the agenda and following the Standard Order of Business should do the trick.

Could be, and our guest can take steps toward that happening, but generally, when I've seen things like this happen, it has been early in the meeting, so the newcomers could participate.

Archived