The Official RONR Q & A Forums

chair rights and nomination requirements for office

Guest jason

Except in small committees and boards of not more than about a dozen, the president does not make motions, participate in debate, or vote except when the vote is by ballot or when his vote will affect the result.  He can do those things if he insists, but RONR advises strongly against it in order to preserve the appearance of neutrality on the part of the president.  I don't believe RONR specifically addresses the president making nominations, but based on the rationale against participating in other ways, I would say that he should refrain from making nominations, too.  As is the case with making motions and participating in debate, he can make nominations, but I believe he should refrain from that as well.

In small boards and committees, he can participate just like any other member.

A nomination does not need a second.

Nominations by the chair are certainly permissible.  RONR (11th ed.), p. 174, ll. 10-20 .  Also see RONR (11th ed.), p.431, ll. 21-29.

The sections you referred to are regarding nominations for committee members when nominations by the chair are adopted as the method of selecting the committee members in a particular case.  Since guest Jason made reference to nominations for office, I think he is thinking in terms of nominations for elective office, rather than staffing a committee.  I believe the blanket statement that "nominations by the chair are certainly permissible" is misleading, as both of the cited references have limited application in specific circumstances.

It's probably best to have a nominating committee to nominate officers.  The president should not be a member of this committee; otherwise, cliques might form.  On the other hand, just because one is an officer does not mean that one gives up the rights of membership.  Also, a chair can assume a motion.

It's probably best to have a nominating committee to nominate officers.  The president should not be a member of this committee; otherwise, cliques might form.  On the other hand, just because one is an officer does not mean that one gives up the rights of membership.  Also, a chair can assume a motion.

Yes, it is certainly correct that the chair, if a member, has the same rights as any other member. This would include the right to make a nomination, but the chair should refrain from exercising this right while presiding, for the same reason that he should not make a motion or speak in debate - in order to maintain the appearance of impartiality.

It is correct that the chair can assume a motion rather than making a motion directly, but this is used "to facilitate the business of the assembly, not to give the chair an opportunity to make a motion whose consideration he or she, as an individual member, believes would be desirable." (RONR Off. Interp. 2007-1)

It is obviously correct that the President could make a nomination if the procedure used is nominations by the chair. Since the rule on the appearance of impartiality applies only within meetings, the chair could also make a nomination if nominations are conducted by mail or by petition. It would also be fully appropriate for the chair to make a nomination if the nominations are conducted by ballot, since this would not interfere with the chair's appearance of impartiality. As noted, the President should not serve on the nominating committee.

Archived