The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President resignation

Guest janettemoore1

Please help I can not find my answer.

Can a President of a non-profit league, in Texas give written notice to the Board that she is resigning in January for the Elections, and then at General meeting tell the members she is resigning cause of personal issues.  Can she 2 weeks later say she changed her mind since no one accepted her resignation.  I did not know we had to accept it if she told the whole town and board.  What can we do on this situation?

Thank you

I did not know we had to accept it if she told the whole town and board. 

RONR says that a resignation is a request to be excused from a duty. Such a request could be denied (though it rarely makes sense to do so). In any case, as noted, until it's been formally accepted (or otherwise acted upon), it can be withdrawn.  

Can a President of a non-profit league, in Texas give written notice to the Board that she is resigning in January for the Elections, and then at General meeting tell the members she is resigning cause of personal issues?

Can she 2 weeks later say she changed her mind since no one accepted her resignation?

Review the time line.

* Today is the month of November of 2014.

* Your president is resigning as of January 2015.

* That is a buffer of two (2) months. -- 60 days.

Since your P never left office (i.e., since January 2015 has not yet arrived), then the P is still P.

If the resignation had taken effect, then we would have having a different conversation.

I see nothing wrong with withdrawing a resignation where no loss-of-office had occurred.

Please review the defined term of office for the office of president, per your bylaws.

If you do not have a way of truncating the term of office early, then the P will remain in office.

A resignation is a voluntary act by two parties.

If one side is unwilling, then it isn't a resignation, but an expulsion, or something other than a "request to be excused from a duty" (Robert's Rules of Order's terminology).

Edgar Guest and Rev. Ed are correct when they say that according to RONR, a resignation is not effective until it is accepted by the appropriate body.... usually the general membership unless there is a board which is authorized to accept resignations.  However, some bylaws provide that a resignation is effective upon receipt by a certain officer, usually the president or the secretary.  Check your bylaws for such a provision.

Similar question - we are having a lot of drama in our small club and several of the newly elected officers already want to resign.  Our bylaws do not have any provision regarding resignation - only on how to appoint in the event of a vacancy.  So if the bylaws do not specify how a resignation takes place, am I reading above correctly that the membership needs to accept the resignation of an officer?

So if the bylaws do not specify how a resignation takes place, am I reading above correctly that the membership needs to accept the resignation of an officer?

The person or body authorized to fill the vacancy would (usually) be the person or body authorized to accept (or, rarely, reject) the resignation. That could be the president, the board, or the general membership.

For future reference, this forum works best if you'll post new questions as a new topic, even if you find an existing topic that's similar.

Archived