The Official RONR Q & A Forums

11th Edition Question

Guest Bob

Where is it specified the each member must be afforded the opportunity to vote (regular member and also board of director)?

"A member of an assembly, in the parliamentary sense, as mentioned above, is a person entitled to full participation in its proceedings, that is, as explained in 3 and 4, the right to attend meetings, to make motions, to speak in debate, and to vote. No member can be individually deprived of these basic rights of membership—or of any basic rights concomitant to them, such as the right to make nominations or to give previous notice of a motion—except through disciplinary proceedings." (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 3)

...the index in the book is not all that helpful in this case.

For the subheading "right to" under the heading "voting," pg. 3 is the first page listed. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 715)

I found where pg 3, 252-253, 571-572 is listed under right to, on page 715.  I guess I am asking for a board of directors in a Home Owners Association?  In the past, I was told it was in the Roberts rules of Order, now want to verify it, of see if my information is wrong. 

I found where pg 3, 252-253, 571-572 is listed under right to, on page 715.  I guess I am asking for a board of directors in a Home Owners Association?  In the past, I was told it was in the Roberts rules of Order, now want to verify it, of see if my information is wrong. 

A rule of thumb is to ALWAYS ask anybody ("I was told...") who asserts that something (that seems even a little dubious) is in RONR to show you where it says that.  9 out of 10 they won't find it 'cause it ain't there.  Example: Home Owner's Associations are not mentioned as such, but a board is a board (as defined in RONR, with details in the bylaws) no matter what sort of an association established the board.

A rule of thumb is to ALWAYS ask anybody ("I was told...") who asserts that something (that seems even a little dubious) is in RONR to show you where it says that.  9 out of 10 they won't find it 'cause it ain't there.  Example: Home Owner's Associations are not mentioned as such, but a board is a board (as defined in RONR, with details in the bylaws) no matter what sort of an association established the board.

And in fact, it is wise to ask the same thing, even if the assertion does not seem dubious, because what "everybody knows" about RONR, but that ain't so would fill another book.

I found where pg 3, 252-253, 571-572 is listed under right to, on page 715. I guess I am asking for a board of directors in a Home Owners Association? In the past, I was told it was in the Roberts rules of Order, now want to verify it, of see if my information is wrong.

What is said on pg. 3 (and on the other pages) applies to members of any assembly, including the Board of Directors of a Home Owners Association.

In your original post you mention that you are asking about members of the association and members of the board. Members of the board have the right to vote at meetings of the board and members of the association have the right to vote at meetings of the association. If the members of the board are also members of the association (which is presumably the case), they have the right to vote in meetings of either assembly.

Archived