The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of committee member

Apadana

We have recently formed a new committee and we had a good showing.  The second meeting attrition occurred and only half attended. 

Can a committee set a standard of how many missed meetings can constitute the removal of the member?  Since there are 12 meetings in a year would three consecutive missed meetings be adequate to remove a member?

There is nothing in our By-Laws, Rules/Regulations nor in the charters that state dismissal of a committee member for lack of attendance.

We have recently formed a new committee and we had a good showing.  The second meeting attrition occurred and only half attended. 

Can a committee set a standard of how many missed meetings can constitute the removal of the member?  Since there are 12 meetings in a year would three consecutive missed meetings be adequate to remove a member?

There is nothing in our By-Laws, Rules/Regulations nor in the charters that state dismissal of a committee member for lack of attendance.

When you say "We have recently formed a new committee ... ", who are "We"?  Are "We" an organization or just a group of people?

Sounds like their experience at the first meeting wasn't a good one. 

You are making an assumption without knowing what type of committee this is. 

Many who came to the first meeting came for their own personal agenda and that was to report their request or problem.  The second meeting had members who contributed with the whole association in mind and that's why this meeting was so productive.  If this nucleus continues then I feel it will be one of the most productive committees, otherwise I would be wasting my time as a liaison.

Archived