The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Remove of Officer/Rep

Becca1979

Hello all,

I need some help.

There was a meeting of a region and in that meeting, the chair stepped down, putting the gavel in the hands of someone that is just a member and not going by the bylaws. The original chair then proceeded to make a motion to remove one of the reps. No reason given. Just that they don't hold themselves to the standards that the chair holds themselves to. There was a second and then the original chair went on to call to question. There was no discussion and the motion was deemed to pass. Keep in mind that each campus has two votes and not individuals votes, which is what happened.

There was a motion to reconsider the motion and that was deemed to fail based on the same voting of individuals.

Now keep in mind also, that this was not an agenda item and was brought forth during the announcements/Good of the order area. I was informed that the chair was suppose to give a 48 hr notice to the person that was being removed and that it was suppose to be an agenda item. If that is true, where can I find that information so that I can give this individual this evidence to help them.

I want to help this person because of the injustice. Please help!

I was informed that the chair was suppose to give a 48 hr notice to the person that was being removed and that it was suppose to be an agenda item. If that is true, where can I find that information so that I can give this individual this evidence to help them.

Your organization's bylaws.

There was a meeting of a region and in that meeting, the chair stepped down, putting the gavel in the hands of someone that is just a member and not going by the bylaws.

The original chair then proceeded to make a motion to remove one of the reps.

. . .

There was a second and then the original chair went on to call to question.

There was no discussion and the motion was deemed to pass.

Keep in mind that each campus has two votes and not individuals votes, which is what happened.

There was a motion to reconsider the motion and that was deemed to fail based on the same voting of individuals.

Now keep in mind that this was not an agenda item and was brought forth during the announcements/Good of the order area.

I was informed that the chair was suppose to give a 48 hr notice to the person that was being removed and that it was suppose to be an agenda item.

If that is true, where can I find that information so that I can give this individual this evidence to help them.

If the position was a committee position, then I don't see a problem.

If the position was an officer position, or a position with a defined term of office, then there is indeed a problem.

Robert's Rules of Order has a different removal procedure between those positions without a term of office versus those positions with a term of office.

Keep in mind that each campus has two votes and not individuals votes, which is what happened.

I don't know what this means.

Campuses do not vote.

If each campus has two votes, then I would have assumed that each campus as two representatives.

So this is a highly customized rule.

. . . this was not an agenda item and was brought forth during the announcements/Good of the order area.

This is okay, i.e., this does not violate any rule of Robert's Rules of Order.

Look to your rules if you have a rule demanding to agendize all business.

Look to your rules if you have a rule peventing motions during "good of the order."

I was informed that the chair was suppose to give a 48 hr notice to the person that was being removed and that it was suppose to be an agenda item.

There is no "48 hour rule" of any kind in Robert's Rules of Order.

This may be another customized rule of yours.

Archived