The Official RONR Q & A Forums

offering discussion prior to voting

ctaylor1079

we had a motion to amend our bylaws. This requires us to notify our member body two weeks in advance of the vote. That was all done. The night of the vote came around and all they did was pass out ballots and vote. There was never any discussion asked from the floor. Is the vote out of order since there was no discussion offered on the motion? There were members present that wanted to discuss this but they simply voted and went on with the rest of the meeting. I feel this was done improperly but I would like an opinion from here if possible. 

we had a motion to amend our bylaws. This requires us to notify our member body two weeks in advance of the vote. That was all done. The night of the vote came around and all they did was pass out ballots and vote. There was never any discussion asked from the floor. Is the vote out of order since there was no discussion offered on the motion? There were members present that wanted to discuss this but they simply voted and went on with the rest of the meeting. I feel this was done improperly but I would like an opinion from here if possible. 

The motion was debatable, yes, but a point of order needed to be raised at the time the violation occurred.  This particular error would not invalidate the vote.

We had a motion to amend our bylaws.

This requires us to notify our member body two weeks in advance of the vote.

The night of the vote came around

and all they did was pass out ballots and vote.

There was never any discussion asked from the floor.

Q1. Is the vote out of order

since there was no discussion offered on the motion?

S1. There were members present that wanted to discuss this,

but they simply voted and went on with the rest of the meeting.

"Q1. Is the vote out of order . . .?"

No.

The opportunity for debate was there.

If the chair didn't think to prompt the members for debate (as there were two weeks of prior notification), then it would up to a member to initiate debate, either by debating immediately (when the motion to amend the bylaws was pending) or by making a motion that debate be allowed.

Remember, you cannot compel debate. -- It is possible that the membership (a majority, anyway) wasn't intererested in debating that which they had pondered for a full two weeks prior.

Perhaps they were thinking, "Don't waste my time. I made up my mind two weeks ago."

Nothing wrong with that.

"S1. ... wanted to discuss this ..."

Since it takes a two-thrds vote to close debate, and since only one-third of the members wanted ot discuss the motion (estimated quanitities), then, like I said, "You cannot force members to debate when two thirds of them don't want to debate."

Bottom line:

I see no irregularities.

Bottom line:

I see no irregularities.

Well, I see an irregularity in that the chair should have called for debate or at least allowed an opportunity for it, but I agree with George that failure to do so does not invalidate the vote.  If someone wanted to debate the amendments, that person should have asked to speak on the issue or raised a point of order.   It's too late for that now.

If, as you say there were members who wanted to discuss this, why didn't they?    Cat got their tongue?

Did someone prevent them?  Did anyone raise a point of order?  Sure it was improper if people were seeking recognition and the chair refused to recognize them, but if they didn't speak up then, it's too late now.  

Archived