The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By Robert's Rules of Order, is a quorum required during the Public Forum at a local council meeting?

Guest Jon DAgostino

One local board asks everyone to settle down at the time the meeting is advertised to start. They then have an invocation prayer, then the pledge of allegiance, then the Public Forum. After all that, the agenda lists an official "Call to Order", then the meat of the meeting starts.

Some board members leave during the prayer and public forum - mostly when they don't like the content of what is said. If they leave and a quorum is not present, can I rightfully demand a quorum before continuing? Is a quorum required before continuing the public forum? If not (presumably because there has been no Call to Order), am I required to walk away from the lectern and be quiet. Do I have to be "in order" at all? After all, the meeting has not officially begun.

Thank you.  Follow up question:  If the meeting has not been called to order, am I required to take my seat and stop talking?  

Also, why would they have the Call to Order AFTER the prayer, pledge and public comment, but at the time the meeting was advertised to begin?

Thanks again.  This is very helpful.  Please forgive my ignorance.

Just to clarify, the meeting HAS NOT been called to order when the Prayer, Pledge and Public Forum happen.  The meeting has started, but the agenda lists the Call to Order AFTER that time.  So my questions remain:  do I have to observe silence during the prayer, pledge and public forum - BEFORE the Call to Order?  Why might they place that Call to Order AFTER the prayer, pledge and public forum?

FYI: This is a local government council meeting, where they invite the general public to attend and speak (at the proper time).

Some board members leave during the prayer and public forum - mostly when they don't like the content of what is said. If they leave and a quorum is not present, can I rightfully demand a quorum before continuing? Is a quorum required before continuing the public forum?

No to both questions. A quorum is certainly not required before the meeting is called to order. In my opinion, it wouldn't be required even if the meeting had been called to order (at least so far as RONR is concerned), because a public forum is not "business" in the sense RONR uses the term.

If not (presumably because there has been no Call to Order), am I required to walk away from the lectern and be quiet. Do I have to be "in order" at all? After all, the meeting has not officially begun.

Since the meeting has not yet begun, there is no rule in RONR which would require you to walk away from the lectern, be quiet, or be "in order" at all. RONR doesn't control what people do outside of meetings. There may, however, be rules on this subject in the council's rules or applicable law.

Also, why would they have the Call to Order AFTER the prayer, pledge and public comment, but at the time the meeting was advertised to begin?

How should I know? Ask them.

Since this is a meeting of a public body (a government council), it may very well have its own rules of procedure which supersede the rules in RONR.  In addition, it is probably subject to state open meetings (or sunshine) laws that dictate much of the procedure.  You need to find out what those rules are.

Archived