The Official RONR Q & A Forums

HOA/POA Annual Meeting Minutes

Guest Mary Wiley

If the association meets only once a year, it should authorize the board or a committee to approve the minutes in a timely manner (less than three months). There's no requirement that the approved minutes be "released" to the membership but they should be made available should any member wish to examine them.

If the association meets more frequently (e.g. monthly) it should approve its own minutes.

Question: When referring to the minutes of the annual HOA aren't those minutes approved by the general membership at the next annual HOA even if there is a board that meets monthly?

No. A year is much too long to wait for the approval of minutes. (I'm not making this up. It's in The Book.)

When it comes to approving minutes, the sooner the better.

Oh, so when my HOA wrote in their minutes that a copy of the draft annual HOA minutes were available to look at (at least 3 months after the annual HOA meeting) these should have been approved minutes? Should I just inform the HOA that a year is to long to wait to approve the minutes? Can you give any incite into why (I know you're not a mind reader) the HOA may think the general membership should have input into approving the annual HOA minutes?

There's nothing wrong (or unusual) with distributing the draft minutes to the membership. It's a good way to catch errors before they're approved. Just be sure they're clearly marked as a DRAFT (i.e. on every page). So go ahead and distribute the draft a week after the meeting. Then wait for feedback. But don't wait too long. 

The (approved) minutes are the official record of what was done at a meeting so you'll want that record to be official before you (or the board) goes ahead and does something based on what was done before.

The problem with waiting a year (or even more than, say, three months) is that memories fade. If the secretary got something wrong, who's going to remember what actually happened a year ago?

But don't take my word for it (I wouldn't!). Get a copy of RONR and look at the bottom of p.474.

Archived