The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of Executive

deepdiver

Recently our Sportsmen's Association (registered Society) approx 2 weeks ago had it's Annual General Meeting. All positions of the Executive are 1 year terms. Our Constitution and  Bylaws state the following:

1. No person may be elected as president, vice-president, secretary or treasurer unless he has been a director for at least two (2) consecutive years preceding the annual general meeting unless this restriction if waived by an ordinary resolution at the annual general meeting.

Non of the Elected have met the 2 consecutive year requirement. No action of any type was brought up to waive this requirement. This needs to be fixed, as it is not correct. Can you please help with some advice and direction.

Executive what? Executive Board? Executive Committee? Executive Director? Chief Executive?

I'm guessing Executive Committee.

In any event, you can't elect persons who are ineligible to serve. Raise a point of order to this effect at the next meeting. Then elect someone else. Or waive the requirement.

There is a combined Executive Committee and Directors meeting 1st of each month and a general members meeting 4 times a year, with the first one Mid-March 2015.

Well, there are no "combined meetings" in RONR-Land. Either the Board of Directors is meeting or the Executive Committee is meeting. 

And, since the Executive Committee members are (presumably) ineligible to serve, I suggest they do nothing until the general membership resolves the issue. You're lucky you only need to wait until March. Some associations only meet once a year.

Executive what? Executive Board? Executive Committee? Executive Director? Chief Executive?

I'm guessing Executive Committee.

Edgar, thank you for asking!  I want to throw things when when I read on here that "the executive did such and such" or "Can the executive do this?"   I want to scream, "Executive WHAT???????"  It's coming closer to driving me batty than anything else I read on here!

Question (for anyone who can answer):  In New Orleans and Baton Rouge and on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and in Jackson, MS I have NEVER heard anyone from those states refer to "the executive".  It's always "Executive Board, Executive Committee, Executive Director", "CEO (Chief Executive Officer), etc.   But, on this forum, it seems like almost every day someone refers to "our executive" or "the executive".

Is this a regional thing, or what??    Is the term used in other parts of the country?  It's like referring to the Grand Duke as "the grand".   It makes no sense.  I don't get it.   What gives?

Edgar, thank you for asking!  I want to throw things when when I read on here that "the executive did such and such" or "Can the executive do this?"   I want to scream, "Executive WHAT???????"  It's coming closer to driving me batty than anything else I read on here!

Take a deep breath.

Remember that you represent the Big Easy.

Archived